Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Seeing Eye to Eye

One of the most difficult chores for me is the regular follow-up with the optometrist. Frankly I'd list that particular appointment right up there with dentist drills as the prerequisite punishments visits I hate most in a year.

Not only do I dislike being subjected to examinations ( ironic that I'm a doctor, right? ) but I also hate getting stuff poked in my eye. You can imagine how my opthalmologist pal, Eye Eddie used to tease me mercilessly about my phobias! It's a deep abiding fear... newly sharpened pencils, pointy chopsticks, all are a serious no-no for me.

Which is why I usually leave that dreaded visit to the optometrist to the last minute - either when I'm already far too sight-impaired to walk a straight line ( or I get the usual dull, throbbing migraines ) or when someone inadvertently steps on my glasses. Usually the latter unfortunately.

Brandon Routh
Bet you don't know who I am without my glasses!

Received a grievous injury to my glasses the other day while I was busy on the hunt for willing prey during Raya. Quite worth it though but I knew I'd have to face the wrath of the optometrist sooner or later.

Once I half-heartedly walked into the store in search of my prescription glasses, I found myself faced with so many mind-boggling choices ( that all curiously look terrifyingly similar! ) that I was sorely tempted to back out again! Of course the obliging manager - who I know well enough outside work, our own Dreadlocks Darian - caught me just as I was about to scurry away and dragged me unwillingly over to a bevy of shiny frames yet unseen.

Like how do you choose a frame?

Don't ask me. Though I've been buying them on my own for quite a while now ( ever since I first realized that I can't read the damned blackboard back in primary ), I'll be damned if I know what suits my face. Or if anything actually suits my face in the first place.

And like I said, don't they all look distressingly similar?

Of course all that dilly-dallying while choosing my spectacles couldn't be half as traumatic an experience as that faced by Lanky Lex who dropped by to lend moral support only to get bulldozed by the rest into trying out contact lenses. You see, he shares my innate phobia of stuff getting into our eyes. Yet sheer vanity - and the promise that his luminous brown eyes will finally be truly appreciated by the world without the distraction of his horn-rims - won over his unreasonable inner fears.

Bowing to peer pressure, Lex finally acquiesced to the clamorous demands and found himself tasked with jabbing himself in the eyes with dirty nails. So you can easily imagine what torture he must have faced getting those silicone jellies into his eyes. Eeew. What if they slipped in never to be found?! What if the lenses sliced through the muscles?!

It's irrational. It's illogical. It's patently absurd. But that's a phobia for you :)

12 comments:

Ryan said...

Oh I wear glasses too. Tried contact lens once and yes, disturbingly painful. Can't imagine if I need to go through all those suffering every morning to just put that small little glass, ok not glass, but lens and paste it on your eyeball. Eeww...

I'd rather wear glasses.

Medie007 said...

i actually kinda like doctors. i love the way they are, and i like to follow them around...

on the other hand, i hate dentist... i hate having my teeth checked... i hate feeling the jolt when the nerves to my teeth are triggered...

but i don't think i'll ever wear contacts... and i think i look cool wearing my glasses...

lol

conan_cat said...

oh yeah, many people succumb to the evil calling of contact lenses because they supposed to look good. but really i think it's really quite a hassle tho... but if you think you really look good without glasses and you can't see your fingers without wearing your glasses, i guess contact lenses is the only way hmm.

and well time to change your style lo haha.. well really glasses all look pretty much the same, and your taste will remain pretty much consistent. one day try buying something you hate to see yourself in, and lets see how remarkable the results are :P

Anonymous said...

diamond studded gold frame :P

Janvier said...

Catseye glasses a la The Far Side characters.

We find contacts a bit troublesome to wear in the mornings and thus do fine with daily disposables for occasions.

Jason said...

Eeeks.... you scared me with the eyeball cutting >;(

William said...

I prefer Lanky Lex with glasses!

Cyclohelix said...

Janvier doing daily disposables? o.O

Am phobic to things that is entering or touching my eyes as well. Good thing i am an emmetrope by genes :D

Alex said...

I did the contacts, thanks to you guys! Do I look great? *sparkly brown shiny eyes*

But I'm sure there's something I don't mind right in front of my eye and won't blink even for a sec!

Sue said...

I am too blind to see how frames without lenses in them look on me, so I have to bring someone to tell me how they look. Guess I've done alright, my twin loved my last frames so much that she bought the same thing.

Anonymous said...

You look awesome, Lex. :P

Let's do contacts again! And next: it's you kor! :D

savante said...

Eee, ryan, contact lenses!

I wouldn't mind contact lenses but I think the glasses work better for me, ah bong.

Doubt contact lenses would help make me look good. I'd need facial surgery, conan cat.

That would look good on ya, jl!

Same with the catseye, janvier!

What eyeball cutting, jason!?

I prefer him without his shirt, wiliam. Muahahah.

Lucky you, helix!

So try wearing it more often, alex. Since you seem to love it.

Can barely see myself as well, sue.

Not in a million years, shane.

Paul