Thursday, October 18, 2007

Shanghai Savouries

In the evenings when I manage to get away from work early enough ( and there are no traffic jams ), I usually drop by this particular stall near my place for tea. Since traffic jams seem synonymous with Asian megacities, that doesn't happen all that often. Run by three mainland Chinese guys ( who are ever so eager to help despite stammering through the little bits of English that they know ), the innocuous little stall sells Shanghai Buns.

Chinese
Get your shirt on, bro. We have customers waiting!

Not because I think the guys are cute. Trust me, I'm not that superficial! Though I'll admit that out of the three, two are pretty much joe average while the last brother could easily pass off as a clean-cut Korean heartthrob. Certainly wouldn't mind getting a taste of his Shanghai savoury anytime.

But that's not the reason I drop by for his buns.

Simple enough reason actually. Apart from serving cheap and delicious pastries, I've always sympathized with the boys - or more likely those who travel far and wide in search of that elusive fortune. I always imagine my grandfather almost a century back waiting in line for his passage to the relatively savage South East Asia, a naive thirteen year old no doubt imagining a wild uncivilized frontier full of unknown monsters. What sheer desperation must have driven that young boy to board that rickety old junk to sail for Malaya as it was known then.

So I always take the side of the immigrants. Ever since the descendants of Adam and Eve first packed up their bags ( full of fresh fig leaves no doubt ) to emigrate from their home in search of greener pastures, there has been growing distrust of the newly arrived. We associate them with disease, strife and social intrigues. Just the slightest whiff of a crime about town and the prejudiced townsfolk would be instantly up in arms to denounce the unsuspecting immigrants.

After all, they're the easiest to point the blame at. Fresh off the boat without friends or family, helpless and vulnerable, these immigrants frequently bear the brunt of our prejudices.

9 comments:

Annie said...

You and pastries. It's always about food. Food Food Food. LOL! Korean heart throb eh? mmmm.. Mr. Yummy then should we call him?

Medie007 said...

wow.... amazing u're thinking that way.. ahaks....

Jason said...

Finally, a twist in the posts :)

ruff nurse-du-jour said...

my heart (and pocket) has a soft spot for the immigrants.

in this side of the planet, they're sometimes misjudged and discriminated. yet a few others were admired for their perseverance and dedication.

like in case the richest man in this country, definitely not a native, but he has managed to build a shop empire that vacuums all the money in my pocket.

joshua said...

what on earth are shanghai buns?

Ryan said...

That's one of the best pics EVER for me. Guess I don't need fabulous pecs and bulging biceps to get me going...

savante said...

Mr Yummy. Wish someone would call me that, annie :P

You should see the savouries then, ah bong.

Why? What kinda twist didja want, jason?

I know. I have a soft spot too, ruff nurse. And sometimes a hard spot.

Go to Dragon I, joshua.

Glad you like em, ryan.

Paul

joshua said...

Oh Oh Oh.. u meant xiao long bao

omg u mean the shanghai guys in asia cafe opposite taylors ah?

Anonymous said...

Paul, where is this stall? Just gimme some hints la, if you can't mention the location directly.

I wanna go!! To taste the guy's yummy buns! I mean the ones that they make, not the ones attached to their posterior!