Sunday, November 04, 2007

Gay Men in the City

With the light-speed advances made in science and technology the past few years, the world is certainly growing smaller. These days, folks a thousand miles away geographically are readily available at the click of a mouse.

And yet no matter how small the world gets, I doubt it can get as small as the gay community gets :) Seriously, 3 degrees of separation might be a little too much.

Back in my hometown, it was nearly impossible to meet up with a fellow gay man. Either they'd been covertly exterminated by rabid homophobes or hidden so deep underground that it would take a dedicated archaeologist a lifetime to find. Even after years of intent manhunt searching behind every bush and tree, I only found but a meagre handful.

Guys
Hmmm... are they all really gay?

And then I made my journey to the big city and whoa! Certainly didn't feel all that pink almost a decade back when I was a student here. Don't even have to look that hard, seems like I find myself bumping into happy homos every which way I turn. Easy enough to recognize the gay clones once the gay-dar's been tweaked. Studly singletons on the prowl in the cruising areas, lovebirds paired up at malls in search for matching thongs, gangs of them lifting reps while bitching about their last one-night-stands in the gyms... the list goes on. Even my classmates - who peculiarly came out while I wasn't looking - have come back to roost here. Lately it seems that if you throw a rock, you're bound to hit a gay man in the city.

We are legion. We are that many.

Bet the angry homophobic conservatives are quivering with pitchforks and lit torches in hand right now.

Yet if we follow strictly by the data and evidence given, we should be significantly less in number. Ten percent or thereabouts? Seriously, how would the human race propagate and grow if half the population would prefer to boff each other ( therefore damning the fertility rate to hell! )?

We could blame the Great Gay Migration. No doubt the gay folks in the rural areas tend to flock to the cities in search of the bright lights - and that ever elusive gay sauna ( if not the ever booming shopping malls ) but surely even then, that wouldn't account for the sudden rapid rise in the gay neighbourhood?

Is it really that infectious? Is that sinister gaydiation growing that powerful?

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad :) The world's a-changing and I'm glad the boys these days aren't as afraid to flaunt their colours. Though isn't it particularly queer that everyone seems to know of each other, if not in a biblical manner then vaguely by stained reputation? Do they all register in some arcane book of gayness ( and I don't mean Axcest or Fridae ) the minute they migrate to this city?

Paul : Hey, doesn't that guy looks familiar?
Adam : Don't you know him?
Paul : Of course not. I'm a shy retiring wallflower!
Adam : That's Jason's ex and also Will's gym partner. I think I danced with him once in LaQueen too.
Paul : Good God. We really are clones.

How else to explain the fact that we all keep flocking to the same areas? 3 Degrees of Separation, I tell ya!

9 comments:

Ryan said...

Well, I am now in the big city. I even worked in the Golden Triangle. Shame on me I don't even stumble upon any gay man I could ask out for a date. Yeah, shame on me!

Whatever it is. Got you a belated birthday gift. Cropped out a scene from sinchronicity which I thought you might like. Stop by my blog and check it out. :p

Anonymous said...

Hmm. You know, I'm starting to wonder if the bloggers gang (aka the camclub) has been hanging out enough in the same places to get noticed. I mean, in the same way as Kinokuniya Guy.

Anonymous said...

Trust me on this Dan, camclub's been noticed on day one and not after frequent visits. Pings both ways!

But am happy that at least guys are being more open. Or maybe gaydar's working a tad more efficiently now.

jay said...

It's spooky, one would think with all of the gay boys flocking to the city, that it wouldn't happen that much. oh well.

quicksilverlining said...

i can sort of see what you mean, but i'm not one to engage in the quintessentially popular culture of any kind, so i can't really say i'm familiar with the crowd.

give me a peppy group of random weirdos wandering the malls and food meets any day.

drownedglass said...

Blame the angry homophobic conservatives quivering with pitchforks for driving us all to the big city in the first place (pitchforks being such a kampung thing).

And personally, I believe homosexuality is a fun and natural solution to an increasingly overpopulated planet ;-)

the ugly submarine said...

Hmmm...its weird, but i don't see no gays from where i am now. Its all straightville ahead. Maybe its about time i service my gaydar, if i still remember where it is.

Anonymous said...

I missed a lot.

savante said...

No gay men to ask out? Don't have such overly high standards lah, ryan :)

I think we're not that noticeable, dan, no matter what zen may think.

Though I admit zen does stand out with his gangliness.

Not sure why they flock to the city, jay. I mean look at the fucking traffic!

I'm that random weirdo, qsl!

I think we should both start a campaign to turn folks gay, dg!

Tune-ups available at the nearest gay bar, mr wanna :)

I bet you're making up for it now, reyville!

paul