Thursday, November 01, 2007

Monsters Under the Bed

We all have our own proverbial monsters - whether real or imagined. From the creepy-crawlies we have lurking under the bed to the pink-feather boa, stiletto-heeled rainbow skeleton sashaying deep in the closet. While some of us hide under the covers refusing to come to terms with the unidentified monsters, a select few disguise themselves every year to knock on doors trick-or-treating in search for that elusive sugar high.

Like everyone else, I've had my share of demons. Faced my own monster almost a year back from this day. Playing the hopelessly outgunned David to the proverbial Goliath, I nonetheless managed to wing a minuscule dent on his tough hide with my lucky slingshot. Seriously, a providential one in a million shot. Still can't imagine how I managed such a fortuitous feat.

Guess fervent daily prayers to St Jude actually work.

Showdown
Preparing for the big showdown!

Of course, leaving him with a negligible abrasion wound also means that Goliath is prone to making return visits to check out the neighbourhood.

This time however, we have our pint-sized Amazon, Shameless Shalom, to lead the academic charge ( possibly with binpoh in hand ).

A sennight from now, my own compatriot Shameless Shalom will make her own final stand, certainly better equipped than I was way back then. Definitely a far more suitable match for her Goliath - who I'm pretty certain should be forewarned to turn tail and head for the hills rather than face the infernal wrath of Shalom. Tried to tell her that the vaunted Goliath isn't all that terrible a fiend but she refuses to heed my advice, continually loading her disturbingly bloodthirsty weapons of mass destruction quite shamelessly ( hence her name ) to annihilate her personal bogeyman.

Poor lil devil doesn't stand a chance, I tell ya. Before Goliath can even begin his own volley of questions, I believe Shalom would have riddled him with her barrage of stinging answers ( and possibly a light smack with her binpoh ).

Of course it's easier to laugh over personal demons after we've figuratively slayed them. Or lightly nicked them as I did.

Paul : Another 2 weeks! I shall perform a pagan sacrificial rain dance!
Shalom : You do that! All Saint's Day today! Going to church to plead my case.
Paul : Light a candle for St Jude. He likes lost causes :)

Hell, I think her Goliath had better come with a white flag raised instead.

BTW if you're still scratching your head wondering, Goliath's actually a behemoth of a professional exam that we all must face :) Yes, medicine is a neverending learning adventure ( with exams as stumbling blocks in between ). You can see my own bitterly fought campaign last year here, here and here.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah... the dreaded demon again. No one likes to face that, no no.

Speaking of the Goliath, when's yours?

ethnwg said...

no way tat's ur new banner! i tot i logged on to a teenage gal obssessed w. zac's site or ahem, a paedophile site

LOL

i love the smeared stuff on d bg tho :P

Ryan said...

Gosh, I have to read your post twice to actually understand what you're trying to talk about!

So, a test is coming soon, huh?! Wrong?! Guess I need to re-sit for my English examination then!

ruff nurse-du-jour said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ruff nurse-du-jour said...

oh my god doc paul! i was like shocked with the header.

i think i'm having a heart attack! hahaha!

im utterly speechless. i feel like i'm entering a twink site or something.

but its beautiful doc savante. very refreshing and sweet. it's so you. =)

Cyclohelix said...

speaking of exams...speechless..lol

David The Man said...

Goliath is your exam monster? hahaha... Remember how David defeated Goliath? If he can do it, so can you. Go ahead... face that "Goliath" of yours.

Anonymous said...

So much to catch up on; so little time. Guess I had best get reading!

Perky said...

My gawd paul... i haven't been here for sometime n already u're stealing Zac from me. Dahlah want to berebut with me for Chris evans. Oh u dirty dirty lil whore ;) Lol!!

William said...

St Jude might get lonely, time to brush up on "The Litany of Saints".

Medie007 said...

gasp... there's more exams after houseman? i thought houseman is the last nightmare??
die...

savante said...

Guess it's hard to read through that entire post but yeah, Shalom has exams coming up - I've sat for it last year.

Trust me, ah bong, there are exams aplenty after medical school. Changed your mind yet? :)

Paul