Thursday, December 20, 2007

Natural Beauty

If you take a good look at the dreamy doctors in Grey's Anatomy, you'd naturally come to the erroneous conclusion that the ones we have in real life are similarly well groomed. That we hardly ever get our hair messed up, our blue scrubs are tailored individually to flatter our physiques and none of us ever had an unfortunate encounter with blood and human excrement.

A far cry from the truth.

I can personally vouch for that fact since I've personally been liberally doused in bag of packed cells - emerging from the ensuing bloodbath resembling Dracula after a crazed drinking binge. I could barely repress a shudder when I saw my nightmarish reflection in the mirror ( with flickering neon light to add to the effect ).

Not a pretty sight.

And neither is a physician after doing a 24 hour call. Unfortunately very few take the trouble to even run a careless brush through their bed-hair before starting rounds. Hence the groggy, pale, unkempt zombies that roam the halls in the early ungodly hours of the morning in search of that glorious caffeine hit - possibly giving rise to the endless rumours of hospital hauntings.

But for those that have slogged through the grueling 24 hours, I can forgive. Though barely. Come on, at least take the time for a quick shower and change before starting work again!

Victims
Victims of the spin cycle!

The ones I find unforgivable ( and think should have their heads collectively decapitated ) are the doctors who come fresh from home in the morning looking as if they'd been literally ( liberally? ) dragged through the washing machine cycle - and tossed through a spin cycle as well. A few even look as if they could have been senselessly battered at the tumbling creek by the ancient washer-ladies.

Paul : OMG! Were you on-call last night?
Spin-dried Sally : No. What makes you say that?
Paul : Umm... Your trendy tornado-tossed hair? So nattily clipped with the giant hairclip?
Spin-dried Sally : Nah, I don't have the time for that. I depend on my natural beauty.
Paul : Natural beauty!? *choke*

I hate perpetuating the shallow notion that beauty is more than skin deep but in this case, I can't help it!

Look, I know God gave us all natural beauty ( though a gifted few had a bit more than the rest, I think ) but He in all His divine wisdom also gave us cosmetics - and other assorted enhancements such as the miraculous Wonderbra and the looks-preserving Botox. So for the love of God, use them! I'm not expecting a drunken extra from the Peking Opera House - but rather than have the guards at the hospital mistake you for the cleaning amah, at least slap on some Rose of Dawn blusher for God's sake.

Beauty might be in the eye of the beholder but please, don't kid yourself. Even Angelina Jolie - who probably looks fabulous au naturale - would think twice before stepping out her house without a touch of make-up.

Now that I've blasphemed myself this time of year and taken God's name in vain several times, I think I need to go to church.

13 comments:

ici said...

1-slept without brushing my teeth
2-eating dinner at 1 am
3-eating breakfast at 5.30 am because felt hungry, without brushing my teeth
4-eye bags
5-puffy eyes
6-not taking evening shower until next morning
7-slippers, not sandals, toilet slippers
8-vomit on shoes
9-blood stain on sleeves
10-etc...

sigh...

Sam said...

Hrm, I have a bit of trouble imagining a doctor at work wearing lipstick and makeup. Hair tied back in a practical fashion, maybe.

Anonymous said...

Ooops, that was me using sam's com.

David The Man said...

Oh yes, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder... haven't I blogged about this before sometime ago?

Unknown said...

amen to that~
i dunwanna look like a mess while operating lar~~ =(. do u think it's while let's say using a mirror to see the patients mouth or something else, and then use it to check my reflection to make sure my hair's not messy? haha

eeeek dunwan puke on my black leather shoes!! T_T

Ryan said...

Hahaha... this is funny! And I have to agree. Some people just don't care about their outlook.

And most of my colleagues don't really dress-up for work. Just a t-shirt and jeans, that's it! So boring!

Come on! Dress-up and refresh each other's eyes! Don't you think that's a good idea?!

asm@di said...

i so know what you mean! granted i don't look like a fashion model that just escaped from the magazine cover everyday - in fact far from it, even on a good day - but i try to look decent when i go out of the house. i think it's criminal how some people just literally don't care how they look, especially those who i think have the potential to look really good.

you tell your colleague, honey, no amount of natural beauty can make that bird's nest you call hair looks good.

sharon said...

i always look stunning, post-call or no past-call, hehe not to show off. :) happy holidays paul! i'm on leave! flying home cm!

[chocoley] said...

the post makes me laugh.

Ganymede said...

Gotta love em chic doctors.

*grins at Paul

N.J.A.P.F. said...

I *heart* Grey's Anatomy! You mean in stark reality doctors aren't like that?! Darn it! There goes my dream of meeting my real-life McDreamy...;)

savante said...

Glad to know the evil tradition continues, ici :P

Ugh. Why not be glam at work, sam/ban?

But at least have something okay to behold, david!

Nope. You can imagine though, ben!

Puke on your shirt and tie too, aaron.

Agreed ryan and asmadi. I mean you don't have to be a covermodel but at least be somewhat decent.

Wah! Stunning postcall, sharon?

But oh so true, dazedblu!

I love em too, queer rant.

Hardly any McDreamys around here, njapf.

Paul

chase / chubz said...

ahhh the glamorous life of real doctors..
real doctors or acting doctors on tv..
men with that white coat reallly really turns me on.. hot!
even with tornado-tossed hair..