Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Jazz Hands

Raise your hand if you've heard of Harry Connick Jr.

Harry Connick Jr!
Nobody knows me?
Sigh. I should write a song.

Now don't roll your eyes like that if you do know the uber-cool jazz crooner. You're in a sad majority! You'd be surprised at how many haven't even heard of his name. When I heard he was scheduled to perform in Kuala Lumpur, I almost stormed the philharmonic to get the tickets. Not sure how I missed his last showing - possibly due to some drastic life-altering event since there could have been no other way I could have missed it.

Eager to share the news, I immediately texted my friends only to get stark blank faces in reply. Seriously. Might as well be talking about Ludovico Einaudi for all the breathless excitement it elicited.

Then again I bet they wouldn't know Sinatra if he walked by singing a tune.


Don't get me wrong. I'm not totally biased. Although I don't mind most other genres, somehow or rather rap makes my teeth hurt. A sign of old age no doubt. And despite the endless piano drills as a kid ( don't even ask me for a dreaded recital! ), I'm far from appreciative and soporific instrumentals still list high on things to put me fast to sleep. Always reminds me of practising scales!

It had to be jazz after all. Have always been a fan of jazz standards. No doubt in some past life, I hung around bars and clubs after work listening to the creamy-smooth crooners of the 50s. Definitely wasn't shoved in the glaring spotlight that's for sure.

12 comments:

adrien said...

*raises hand high up ala Granger*

omg he is!? i wanna go! jom!

Ryan said...

Ooh... he sure can sing! how much is the tix?

A Lewis said...

the boy can sing....the boy can do whatever he wants, quite frankly. He' freaking HOT!

Jason said...

Tarak extra money to watch. You guys enjoy.

Jake said...

Heeey, I moved my journal over to

http://throughchange.blogspot.com

and I just wanted to let you know because I've been a reader of yours for a bit :)

ikanbilis said...

i can't go so have fun! ;)

Quentin X said...

Michael Buble seems to be more popular these days. Followed by Jamie Cullum.
I bought an old album (1991) of Harry Connick Jr for $10. It was on special. Good value I reckon.

Jaded Jeremy said...

*Raises hand* I'm not a fan though.

Dave said...

Harry Connick Jr is cute...

Best of all, he will be performing live in Singapore in March.

But i am looking forward towards The Police Live in Singapore next month! ;)

Anonymous said...

A few years ago I saw Connick in Pajama Game in New York. I fell on it by luck. I didn't know who Connick was but the show was a favorite. Connick was absolutely great: voice, dance, piano playing.

savante said...

Finally! Yes, Adrien, we shall go.

Not sure. I think a few hundreds, ryan.

Totally agree, lewis.

You can go work a bit at lorong haji taib, jason :P

Changed already, jake.

Yikes, why not, ikanbilis.

No worries, I like them both as well, quentin.

GASP. Why not, jeremy!

I know! I'm so there, dave!

MUlti-talented. i should be green with envy, anon!

paul

D-Man said...

Yes, he's definitely a pop-tart (just learned that one from my 12 year old niece... something about being sweet, hot and tastey...)