Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Red Badge of Courage

Remember me saying that girls were an exotic rare breed way back in my all boys school?

Speaking along that vein, the Girl Guides were pretty much in the same endangered species category - at least from our point of view! - being cloistered behind the high walls of the convent only to be seen on the rare occasion such as jamborees and campfires. During the campfire dances, I spoke to them only to exchange pleasantries since I was far too busy minding the complicated steps ( while trying my best not to ogle some of the cuter boy scouts from the other troops ).

Boy scouts
Boy Scouts out adventuring for their badge

So I always assumed that the Guiders were female equivalents of the scouts not knowing that they actually had certain traditions of their own. Though it does seem kinda lame now, we were all pretty proud of our badges back then - placing them proudly on our sleeves. But in place of our own merit badges such as First Aid and Hiking, it seems as if the Guiders had their own womanly pursuits to discover. According to Shameless Shalom, Needlewoman for instance requires sewing / embroidering an item of clothing while Childcare insists on thoroughly dousing an infant with soap and water.

You can imagine the astonished look on my face! Seems like the girls were given adequate training to be genteel ladyfolk tending to house, hearth and spinning wheel. Not that I find those tasks at all displeasing - hence my ambition to be a househusband.

Of course I immediately relayed this shockingly sexist piece of news to my ISO when I bumped into him online the next day.

My ISO : You're kidding me, right? Shalom wasn't a girl guide back in the 1800s?
Paul : Pray she was pulling my leg! I almost expected a badge for Charwoman, Washerwoman and Society Debutante as well.
My ISO : So while we were out conquering the wilderness, the girls were tending to the fire?
Paul : Don't forget knitting booties for the babies.

Makes you wonder what new badges they should make up for the modern day Gossip Girls of today.

Social Climber Badge
Attended three society parties ( without an alias ) in a month. Hosted one A-list event.

Catfighting Badge
Public verbal disagreement with a fellow student. As an additional proficiency, ties in to the next three badges further down. Extra points for physical throwdowns ( i.e. hardened bitchslaps and hairpulling ).

Adulteress Badge
Being the raison d'etre for the split of a committed couple of at least six months duration.

Gossip Central Badge
Implicate an enemy in a scandal and disseminate the news in the space of a week. Gossip should spread to at least three different guiding companies in the same town.

Skank Badge
Bagged three guys in a week. Extra points for bagging brothers / best friends.

I know. We're both really awful. :) But to proof that we're not total misogynist pigs, we're supposed to get back and think of more badges for gay scouts instead. Gay merit badges anyone? Hairstylist Badge? Circuit Queen Badge? Fashionista Badge?

9 comments:

luke! said...

whatabout matchmaker badge: match 3 girls and 3 boys from the all girls and boys school. girls love matchmaking people. and whatabout fashionista badge?!

hrugaar said...

Love the badge suggestions. Must get my mom to tell her Trefoil friends (Scout and Guide leaders). :D

Legolas said...

I wonder what other things are in your head.

RPMnut said...

I want that skank badge so bad! :P

William said...

Tepuk Pengakap!!!

Anonymous said...

Naz looks soo cute (",)

savante said...

That sounds great :) Will have to write about it one day, luke!

I wonder what her Trefoil friends would say, ru :P

Have all sorts of odd items in my head, legolas.

Darlin, I bet you have your own patrol of skanks already, rpm! :)

Gasp. You were a scout too, william!

Yes, he does, gossiplounge.

Paul

Anonymous said...

I dulu Kadet Polis. Tak main, Pengakap gitu-gitu. Kita main pistol betul!!!

RRP said...

LMAO @ skank badge! That's gold!

I know a few who'd be masters at those.

Including me.