Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The Art of Bomohpathy

We like to say that the relationship between a surgeon and an anaesthetist is akin to a marriage of convenience. No matter their marital troubles, the unfortunate pair are irrevocably tied to each other by virtue of their jobs - despite the fact that the surgeon and the anaesthetist can be distinctly different in character and nature!

Usually the more subdued and passive of the pair, the anaesthetist learns to handle his cases with more tact than his rowdy, aggressive surgical colleagues who are far more eager to throw down the gauntlet. But of course, that's plain stereotyping since you do find the occasional mavericks here and there :)

Surgeons come in all shapes and sizes after all. From the benign powers of good to the demonic ones who wield their jedi-like strength for evil like the Scalpel Sith. Though I didn't think I'd ever meet one who'd leave me gaping.

Jedi Jampi himself!

ONg Bak
Does this actually work?!

Despite the modernization sweeping the country, not all of its inhabitants have seen fit to lose the old ways. Hence the ancient practice of alternative medical therapy ( what else would you call bomohpathy? ) are still very much in vogue. As a practitioner of Western medicine, I'm obliged to abhor such unlicensed work. Not that I don't believe in their patchy successes but I do wish the work's scientifically documented as a retrospective study in the Asian Journal of Arcane Bomohpathy at the very least.

Rather than to have it leak out in hearsay as an urban legend of the healing wise man in the hills. Let's not even talk about the infamous sinsehs who go around fooling naive ladies into giving up their hard-earned savings - and occasionally more.

But some relatives are awfully persistent so I find myself - if not condoning - at least not barring them from trying their luck. As long as they don't forcefeed my patients dubious-looking miracle cures or douse them in bacteria-laden drainwater, I'm quite agreeable. Since it usually involves a few chants, some songs, perhaps a rain dance or two.

But of course I never quite expected spiritual surgery being done by our very own Jedi Jampi. Seriously. You have never seen the like! Sure I've heard the local legends but I've never seen tumours being shrunken by faith healing before. I almost wondered whether he'd want help decontaminating the surgical area but I was informed by the Jedi that the area had been cleansed with prayer.

Hell, what are we autoclaving for! Might as well scare the bugs away by breaking out the Bible!

Still... nice unassuming fella, this Jedi Jampi. No knives. No flashing blades. No magic wands. Just a tense, controlled muttering and brief waving of hands. Without the benefit of anaesthesia even!

Of course I gotta see his results before I give my nod of approval. Who knows, we might yet call Jedi back for a surgical consult. Maybe I could learn how to sedate patients by whispering a few magic words. Imagine the things I could do! Chris Evans won't see it coming!

Paul : Could I buy you a drink?
Chris Evans : Get lost, creep. What are you bothering me for?
Paul : Aren't you feeling sleepy already?
Chris Evans : No, I'm not! I'm just... *yawn*
Paul : Lullaby and good night.

Need I say more?

3 comments:

nase said...

Usually the more subdued and passive of the pair, the anaesthetist learns to handle his cases with more tact than his rowdy, aggressive surgical colleagues who are far more eager to throw down the gauntlet. But of course, that's plain stereotyping since you do find the occasional mavericks here and there :)

I see, you think hanging in too long in the OT or the anaesth gas vapour in OT has something to do with "subdued and passive" ? hehe
Surgeons are a promiscuous lot btw as we both knw too well.

Glog said...

Bomohpathy?
Hahaha...

savante said...

Well I never thought of that, nase! You might have a theory there! Will sit well away from the gases next time.

What better name is there, glog :)

Paul