Monday, September 29, 2008

Marry in Haste

Imagine all this people!

Yoko : Darling, I'm getting married!
Paul : Huh?
Yoko : Yes, wish me luck!
Paul : Seriously?! To John? You just met the guy two months back!
Yoko : Of course to John! And I brought him to meet my parents yesterday so we're getting married next month.
Paul : Is he a mail-order groom? Are you knocked up?
Yoko : No! And no! He asked me over mexican food and I said yes.
Paul : You sure you weren't high on margaritas?

Teased by the rest of the clique for being the last member of the lonely hearts club band, our perpetual singleton Yapping Yoko finally decided to take the crucial plunge into the magical mystery tour we call matrimony. With John, no less! Frankly though I'm astonished at the lightspeed progress of her courtship from meeting to proposal. It might even be a world record for a non-elopement! And she confirmed the fact that she's not eating for two - since our ingenuous born-again virgin's apparently saving herself for marriage.

Though that's not what I heard before :P

Vows
Till Death Do Us Part?

Really, am I the only one who thinks she's moving too fast? Of course I'm far from the most sentimental guy but I do catch the occasional sappy-sentimental chick flick! Where boy has a meetcute with the girl only to get blissfully married in strawberry fields forever all in the span of two short eventful hours. But that's onscreen where time and reality ( and commonsense! ) seems to suspend itself sometimes.

But this is real life we're talking about!

Even changing my locker can be a momentous decision that takes several days to digest. So what about settling down with someone to have and to hold for better and for worse? How did getting engaged become something you decide in between hot nachos and a movie?

Hell, not only are the straights falling into this commitment bandwagon, the fags are following suit. Turns out this shotgun wedding trend seems to extend to the young gay fellas as well with them meeting and moving in after only three dates. Seriously, what happened to guys scared of commitment? Are they all turning into lesbians in love? Perhaps younger guys are more willing to risk it all, take that amazing leap of faith. Far less cautious than those of us who have been burnt before.

Romantic? Impulsive? Definitely. No doubt about it. But isn't that moving a lil too fast? What's the rush? Haven't they heard of the age-old adage of marry in haste, repent at leisure?

Or am I cynical much?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you watched Takeshi Kaneshiro's new film? Is it nice?

ABC123 said...

Yes, I think that it is moving a bit fast. Talk about the speed of light! They have been together for only 2 months and the next thing is they are getting married.

Anyway, I wish her all the best as well! lol

Fable Frog said...

There are actually straight people getting married after knowing for 2 months?? TWO MONTHS?? i can't even adapt to a new place in TWO MONTHS TIME!! O_O

H.a.M.s.A.p said...

2 months is not that bad..I know a couple who only knew each other for 1 month and gotten marry in the beginning of the 2nd month..So spontaneous..O_O

Anyways, wish them all the best ~

Little Dove said...

I thought it was queers who started the trend of whirlwind romances and commitments. The straights are following suit. ;)

nase said...

You know the question of marriage and timing apparently applies differently to everyone, so what may appear as too soon may as well be just perfect timing.

But what really concerns me is the fact that more and more gays are doing it. I wanna ask you if I may, dear Paul, will you jump on the bandwagon too one day and how do gays view marriage these days?

Mr.D said...

Well if they are truly in love why not?

savante said...

Yes I have. Will put up a post soon, calvin.

So do I. And light a candle for her too, looi.

Same here. I don't know how they can take that leap without care, froggie and hamsap! But I guess it is spontaneous.

Now I see where the craziness came from, lil dove :)

I love marriage as well but I won't jump into it without thinking for a good long while, nase.

Love is one thing. Commitment is another. You need to know a person well enough before you can make that commitment, darren.

Paul

Anonymous said...

I'm still stuck at "born-again virgin." What the what? LOL

Alice said...

Well good luck to them! Hopefully theyre not the ex Kevin and Britney case!! Geez.

KRIS JASPER said...

who knows... it might just work.