Saturday, November 01, 2008

Angel of Death

Everyone hates to be the bearer of bad news.

And that includes doctors. Unfortunately listed in the purview of our work, we are generally expected to relay devastating life-changing news to our patients - and their assorted relatives - on a daily basis. Otherwise also known as dumping a pile of crap-shit on total strangers.

Patient : Doctor, can I go home now?
Doctor : Not unless it's in a hearse.

Or that infamous army joke rehashed.

Doctor : Everyone with their mother still living, step forward. Not so fast, Mr X.

Yes. We make sick jokes. It's one of our patented coping mechanisms. Otherwise we'd be far more... loopy than we already are.

Of course it doesn't make the job of bearing bad news any better. Guess it would take a true sadist to enjoy dropping a ton of bricks over the next unsuspecting fella. And generally folks such as these tend to clear of careers in medicine! So unsurprisingly many idealistic gung-ho doctors shy away from telling the horrible truth, desperately trying to see the glass half full even when it's already near empty. After all wouldn't that be seen as a failure of modern medicine?

Doctors
What? There's nothing we can do?!

Which is wrong. It's not a failure. Rather I call it admitting our limits. Sometimes there just isn't much that we can do. We're not God. And we shouldn't go around playing God either.

Doctor : No worries. The surgery will be successful, there shouldn't be any complications. You'll go on to live a wonderful life.
Patient : Really ah?
Paul : You want to know the real truth? The tumour has spread everywhere. Your kidneys are failing, your liver is gone and your lungs are taking a semi-permanent vacation. There's even a tiny lump in your brain. Your chances of surviving this operation is very low indeed.

Reason enough I'm always the one chosen to deliver bad news at work. The Angel of Death seriously.

Me, I'm a proponent of tough love. I believe the patients deserve to hear the worst from us. After all, who else is going to lay all the cards out on the table for them? Moral support and encouragement they can already receive from their relatives / friends / spiritual advisors. I think what they expect from us is the honest truth especially in regards to their medical condition.

No matter how painful it can be.

For the more fragile ones, I might try to cushion the blow by offering some small sliver of hope ( and there always is even in the most dire circumstances! ) but that won't stop me from delivering the punch.

Doctors
Hmm... I've got some bad news for you but I think you might have already guessed it?

Say what you might but hardly anyone keels over dead from bad news. A tragic swoon or two perhaps but that's about it. Now let me tell you about the ones who drop after being handed the unvarnished truth - especially after being fed sugary sweet honey half-truths before!

9 comments:

Reszurrecdito M. d'Saintner said...

Well, doc, it's really hard for anyone to stomach the truth if it is indeed. I dread the day when matters go from bad to worse. I don't know. If it is God's will, I will just have to accept it. After all, death is inevitable, right?

By the way, all your Bedside links (such as your archives and links) point to your main blog. What happened to those broken links?

William said...

As long as they don't shoot the messenger...

ABC123 said...

Paul, I understand how you feel to be the bearer of bad news. However, I agree with your statement that your patients deserve to know the truth rather than the opposite. At least, they will be more prepared for the worst case scenario that is yet to come.

Rae P said...

am so not gonna be enjoying those times when I need to.

Maybe you've been doing it for a long time, so, you're kinda immune to the paraphernalia of death that affects evrything and anything around it XD

Bengbeng said...

if i were the patient i would prefer the truth n act accordingly. i would no longer be around but my dependents would still be.

cleo weiland said...

If I were a patient, I'd like to know the truth too. As long as you're not blunt like Dr House. Haha!

But in real life...when it comes to stuff like what my galpals really think of me (we bitch behind each other's back, it's how girls work) I don't wanna know. So sugar coat me and make me think everyone loves me. :P

sharon said...

i'm the cold-hearted bitch nowadays. but i noticed most patients appreciate the truth. we do the hardest bit so that everyone can move on.

KY said...

If someone need to deliver the bad news for good sake, why not you? Somehow, truth is always hard to accept.

Twilight Man said...

Fate is in our hands & is our own doing. People still blame God for it. Funny! So we should take the truth calmly.