Thursday, November 06, 2008

Dangerous Duet

My family's not very high on emotional outbursts. Rather than descend into rip-roaring bitchfests with screams, slaps and sobs, we tend to opt for terse but civilized discussions over the dinner table.

Preferably over a cup of tea.

Chinese WASPs, I call it. Or Suburbanized Anglophile Chinese SACs? Since we're basically a freakishly different breed, we really need to find a term to differentiate us from the Chinese-educated Heartlanders so to speak. Of course they would derogatively jeer us as heretic bananas.

Of course, anything would be better than being differentiated as the whisky or the pu-er tea clans!

Reflection
Dammit. The neighbours are bickering again!

Don't have to look far for heartlanders or emotional outburts though. The neighbours live just behind us. An elderly couple with their grandchild - shockingly prone to screaming fests in the early mornings and the evenings. Possibly enacting such dramatic scenes due to the lack of Cantonese dramas at that hour to sustain them.

Mother : Where are my glasses, you bastard!
Father : What?!
Mother : My glasses!
Father: WHAT?!
Mother : MY FUCKING GLASSES!
Father : IT'S BEHIND THE ARMOIRE, YOU OLD BAT! YOU DON'T HAVE TO YELL!

Screeching away their dangerous duet every morning at the loudest decibels in pidgin Mandarin to an ear-splitting crescendo as a climax, occasionally joined by their junior soloist to produce an absolute cacophony of noise. And here I thought my worst neighbours were the obsessive karaoke freaks.

Lest you think I'm exaggerating, it's a daily occurrence that happens in the mornings just when I'm trying to get in an extra hour of weekend snooze. You can imagine how irritated I am. If I had WMDs to spare, there'd be a rather sizeable crater right behind my house where the neighbours used to be.

Can't imagine doing the same back home. Though we love to flout the rules, my soft-spoken grandmother would probably give us a quick rap with the wooden ruler for screaming like uncouth fishwives. Raising our voices is a simple no-no in our household.

And we live in a coffeeshop.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

oh~ tell me about it -.- chinese dramas~
gosh... every show has the same lines... all those 'sei pat po's .. heard it a thousand times~

hehe how y paul?

Anonymous said...

LOL!! I can so picture what you have just described...guess they are not as civilized or do you think that love made them like that?

Anonymous said...

should have gotten you a hi-fi so you can blast them back every morning! MAMA MIA~~

Ryan said...

The neighbour staying opposite my house always sing karaoke in the afternoon. And they turn up the volume so loud that even I can hear it with my front door and windows closed!

And no, they can't sing well! Sometime I thought I heard 'chicken-being-killed' noise!

Rae P said...

over a cup of tea?

How very English you are Paul XD

Twilight Man said...

Hee! Hee! It brought me down to memory lane... Used to have a sundry shop opposite and the couple often fought. That was how I learnt all my Hokkien genital vulgar words.

Alice said...

Yeah..its Chinese New Year everyday for them :p

Glog said...

Hahahaha....
Being noisy?

Well, lets just say my grandpa has one way to shut all of us by muting the TV which is on while we talk...

Talk about making a statement!

Anonymous said...

omg my neighbour plays loud techno music every afternoon

and that hunk is gorgeous!

savante said...

Doing fine! How's the great unknown, aaron :)

I blame the lousy radio they listen to in the morning, adrian. Must be driving them crazy.

But I need the sleep. How to blast them, jared!

Yes, it does sound like fowl being plucked, ryan.

Just short of the Queen, raeshad.

Aiks. But then again, I know them too, twilight.

I should toss some firecrackers over to help, leo.

Maybe that would help, glog.

Why don't you go over there and help him listen, confessions?

P