Friday, February 27, 2009

Cops &... Doctors?

Contrary to popular belief, doctors are far from the most law-abiding citizens about. In fact, most of the physicians I know break the law with quite alarming regularity.

Traffic laws that is.

Haven't we all heard about that colleague who ran a red light on the way to dinner only to claim anxiously to the wandering copper that she was rushing to a medical emergency? Or the one who parked illegally on a yellow line only to exclaim righteously that she'd been sent to check on an ailing octogenarian on the 28th floor of a nearby flat?

Seems like I'm about to join that lawless band of hooligans.

Boys
Bad boys?

Last time the medical degree saved me was a few years back when I inadvertently attempted an illegal turn only to encounter the long arm of the law. Fortunately I didn't even have to say a word since the stethoscope displayed prominently on the front seat spoke loudly enough. Managed to get off with a kind reproof from the elderly cop who reminded me that driving at the speed of light to make a turn wasn't in my best interests.

Then today the boys in blue caught me again midway through an offence - go figure - easy enough to mistake with the recent chaotic change in traffic system. Being the law-abiding citizen I hoped to be, I was all ready to take the summons. Hell, I already had a bunch of speeding tickets, what's one more?

With the recession already looming large, the unsmiling police officers were obviously hoping to make a buck in bribery.

Cop : License and registration, sir.
Paul : Well, here it is.
Cop : That street just turned into a one-way last week. Didn't you notice the road sign?
Paul : Sorry. Just came back an hour ago.
Cop : I could turn a blind eye. Where do you work?
Paul : The hospital?
Cop : You're a doctor?

I nodded. Obviously a clincher since he immediately smiled, handed me my cards and gave me a friendly warning. Couldn't have been more the helpful neighbourhood lawman. Even offered to show me the way to my destination.

Turns out being a doctor is good for one thing at least.

8 comments:

Reszurrecdito M. d'Saintner said...

Did you ever do that, doc? Drive past red lights at high speed only to tell lies to the waiting traffic cop in the end, claiming you are on emergency call?

nase said...

**hush now.... we are all guilty of the same offence and get away with it!**

shame on you, doctors! hehehehe!

Kenji said...

Ohhh geez... Lucky basket! Does a phd counts as being a doctor!? ><

Anonymous said...

you are ok. you are not a shame to your profession unlike doc nase the drunk

Anonymous said...

Now you make me wanna get a stethoscope and drape it casually over my dashboard... not that I run red lights or anything, of course. :p

Little Prince said...

NOT FAIR!
=.=

MrBunnyBan said...

Aiyer! I also wan stethoscope now!

Bengbeng said...

i will buy a stethoscope n put it on my passenger seat for emergency purposes :)