Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Showing Hands

Finishing work early today seems to be reason enough to take the rest of the day off for a spot of brunch, gossip and shopping in Bangsar with the girls. The Lushes had news aplenty to share since they'd spent a weekend away for a hen party.

While I slaved away at work. Damn.

They certainly got me caught me with the twisting grapevine though including what's been going on in their hectic lives. However the one piece of news that really caught my attention was Fabulous Fiona's recent scandalous dealings with a notorious hand-holder!

Fiona : And you know what he did! He.. he reached for..
Paul : Your boob?
Sarah : OMG!
Fiona : No, even worse! My hand!

An anti-climax?

Not really once you think of it. You'd have expected something far more outrageous to get Fiona's goat but it seems an aspiring beau tried to get fresh with her by trying to hold her hand. A PDA gesture so sweet, innocent and simple - yet it sometimes holds far more significance than the obvious steamy carnal act. After all in these casual days of post-sexual revolution, complete strangers making out on the first date - if not more! - seems almost commonplace.

SNAG
I wanna hold your hand!

But the act of reaching out to intertwine fingers symbolizes an intimate connection - and a commitment - that underscores the simple gesture. Holding someone's hand is a way to communicate that you are finally off the market.

Unless you're a foreigner from the Arab-Indian subcontinent walking hand in hand with a couple of friends.

And even that budding bromance is suspect sometimes.

Obviously Fiona's new fella must have missed the sheer importance of hand-holding in dating chronology. So when he made a determined grab for her hand on that very first date, she almost flinched. Knowing that forcibly tugging her hand away would only succeed in making an embarassing scene, she gritted her teeth, closed her eyes and thought of England.

Not exactly the way you'd want someone to hold your hand.




But seriously. How do you make that first move? Do you nervously inch your hand across the table hoping not to be summarily slapped away or try for that sudden uninvited leap?

Questions that had me trying to recall the first time I held Charming Calvin's hand - since it's quite possible ( in my ardent enthusiasm ) that I reached for other parts of his anatomy first! But I do remember trying my luck a couple of dates in, reaching out across the car seats to brush his hand. Rather than squeal in virginal horror as expected, he actually linked his fingers to mine.

A habit I indulge in quite often these days - a surprising fact pointed out to me in passing by the sharp-eyed Statuesque Sarah last Christmas.

11 comments:

JD Cole said...

holding hands for the first date?!!

ermmm....isn't that weird?

Reszurrecdito M. d'Saintner said...

Would you actually try to hold the hand of a stranger? What made you do that? And how does that habit come about?

nase said...

I am all for holding hands and more!

Jason said...

holding hands are fun.. i guess.. i seldom hold hands.. except my own.. should ask my boy...

The Vice Buddha said...

Paul... U know what?

I like your thought process!

You talk about the most regular and unimportant of things and make us realise ow significant they ctually are!!

True... holding hands for a first date.. its more suggestive than it sounds!

Rae P said...

Wall-E anyone?

- a story about just that -

Anonymous said...

I never really thought about it. I love to hold hands and play with the fingers...and whatever that leads from that.

But I doubt it would happen on a first date - I think.

Perky said...

I don't hold hands on the 1st date. I usually just rest my hand around his arms. It's less intimate that way but still a sweet gesture that indicates I'm comfortable enough with the guy.

Anonymous said...

adique: but holding hands IS a huge step.

joyce: yeah. FOR VIRGINS.

adique: -_-"

Steve Josh said...

I still do remember the first time my man grasp my hand and our fingers intertwined. Even the smallest actions do mean alot...

savante said...

It is! And it's not her first time, JD. Obviously straight guys like holding hands.

Not me! My friend, mann!

No argument there, nase. Especially the more.

I'm sure he likes it too, jase.

Lots of significance for such a small act, vice buddha.

Yeah, I forgot all about wall-e, rae!

Maybe by the second date then, thatdivo.

I've done that as well, rest my hand no the small of his back, perky.

Loving Joyce, adique :)

Yes it does, stevie.

P