Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Word

I'm far from the most religious fella around. In fact I'm this close to joining Atheists Anonymous - if not for the all-important fact that I actually think the Almighty really does exist. But you won't catch me thumping any religious tomes anytime soon.

So sometimes what gets my goat are the illogical religious fanatics who insist on basing everything they do on the Book. The faithful lemmings eat, sleep and work according to the strict tenets written in the Book, unquestioningly following every act, chapter and verse laid out without much thought.

Mormon
Of course is this hot mormon came by, I'd me more amenable to his teachings.

Is that right? I know faith defies logic sometimes - but there are several secular issues that bear at least a moment's thought. We can't simply refer to the Book as the preeminent decisive vote on every lil question!

Paul : Why do you cause a ruckus over female entertainers playing to our crowds?
Fanatic : Because they should be clad modestly from head to toe. Seeing their nubile figures will drive the passions of our men wild.
Paul : Can't they wear blindfolds instead?
Fanatic : The BOOK tells us that virtuous women must be protected at all costs! Allowing such licentiousness could lead to moral decay and the end of the world as we know it. So says the BOOK!
Paul : So we go back to that? Should we stone adulterers too?
Fanatic : I just did that last week. You should have joined in. We have extra rocks.
Paul : And is that right?
Fanatic : Well the Book said so.

He might as well have said because God said so - as if that's the end of the matter.

If God had intended us all to follow his rules blindly, He would have made us all unthinking automatons. Why go to all that trouble to give us free thought and imagination instead?

Then again there are some out there who seem to have missed out on a brain. So much for Cogito, ergo sum.

And lest we all forget - and try to push our values on others, not everyone believes in the same Book as we do. Just because you think your Book is the be all and end all doesn't mean the rest of us believe it. Who knows, they might have some other Book that preaches the opposite doctrine.

11 comments:

Jason said...

You know, I have no issues with these fanatics who base their lives on "The Book", its just very fun to twist their own words. If the female entertainers aren't allowed to be scantily dressed for their protection, then why not blindfold the men and bind them with thick ropes?

I actually asked a fanatic that question before, and next thing I know, I got a 1 hour lecture on morality and religion and doing what is right.. OMG!! I don't know if I should hate them or like them..

JD Cole said...

why don't we stone those ppl who'd commit bribery instead of things of the sexual nature?

Brian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MrBunnyBan said...

Embrace atheism already, doc!

Legolas said...

You only believe in God because you want to receive gifts and decorate your house during Christmas.

Janvier said...

Unrighteous heathen! You will be spurned from the gifts that has await those who are faithful to their Maker! Chris Evans will never throw rubbish naked again! :P

Anonymous said...

It's true what they say you know... One look, and you go blind... blinded with sheer pure lust.

Of course, I took a second look lah. :P

Leon Koh said...

of course not everyone believe in the same thing.. that made the world interesting!

The Vice Buddha said...

I m gonna say something here which might be a little radical for a few people.

M an atheist with an extremist view! I don't even believe in any super power that connects us like dots on a TV screen! I make my own fate, no one decides anything on my behalf!@ its my choice entirely what would happen in my life! Now crests and troughs are faced by everyone! Don't blame a "power" for that! Its an event, like any other, just with more dire consequences!

People reach out to THe Book when in need. I, on the other hand believe, that if I cannot help myself, fuckin no one can! No books, no God!

Kenji said...

Well I dunno... I do share your belief somewhat... People only turn to God when they are in need...

But yes, I do think we're down here to choose for ourself and since there are no one in this world who can attest to an afterlife, I'm content to be the way i am for the moment! :P

Anyway, I'm still in Canada la!! Not back yet... but June i'll be back, care for a drink!? Haha it HAS been forever I must apologise! ><

Alex said...

It's OK, Paul... we've been dealing with lots more extremists in the coming days.... we need more questioning people than blindly faithful people.