Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Say My (Sur)Name!

You know sometimes it takes a while to respond when you hear someone calling your name? Just hear the muted shout in the back of your mind kinda like an echo, you turn and half-wonder whether it's your imagination.

Then I hear someone calling my name.

And it surprised me. You know it's been a while since secondary school when you don't recognize your own surname after it's been yelled several times from twenty feet away. Reminds me so much of PE lessons when the belligerent coach would yell at us! Certainly underlines the fact that surnames remain so much more important in a man's world than in a lady's.

Boys
What? Did you call me?

Really. Have you noticed?

A peculiar double standard perhaps? Girls call each other by their personal names ( a sign of intimacy maybe? ) while boys prefer sticking to their surnames. Even as men, it seems to be the norm to address each other by our surnames. For instance, you'd never hear Holmes and Watson refer to each other as Sherlock and John! A quiant reminder of our colonial past perhaps? Or maybe perhaps in our patrician Confucian-world, clan, lineage and family names just seem to carry more importance for the boys.

Like my brother and his classmates who still call each other by their surnames till now! Johnson! Chong! Lim!

I'd be expecting their dads to answer!

Sure I do use my surname at work - tagged to the salutation Dr. But these days hardly anyone I know personally days calls me that. They usually just tag me as Paul at the most. Reason enough it took a while before I turned around when my old classmate called my (sur)name.

5 comments:

Pranny said...

May be u don have a companion to call u with sweet names yet.. And ur so busy with ur working life.. One day if u find a person whom u think u can depend,i'm sure u can hear sexy names (when he/she calls u) haha

Janvier said...

Called by the surname? That's irregular, as even in school we were all calling each other by first names.

MrBunnyBan said...

Not everyone got called by their surnames names back in my school. But some people were called by that all the time.

Perky said...

This happened to me while I was still studying in uni.

I've gotten so used to having ppl call me by my short name or nickname. Even the lecturers call me by my short name. Then one day, a new lecturer came in and called out my surname. It was only by his 3rd try that I realized he was calling for me.

Jason said...

so far for friends who I am close with we call them by their pet-peeve-names or what we like to call as "terms of endearment". We only use formal names when we are getting pissed at someone! hehe