Thursday, April 16, 2009

Techno-Himbos V : The Phantom Wifi

Seriously. Till now I simply cannot fathom how the wi-fi bit works. Little bytes of information flying across the air to be reproduced as sight and sound? Now doesn't that sound almost like magic?

Nonetheless that doesn't stop me from trying to dabble in a lil bit of techno-magic. After all despite our seeming decrepitude, we all have to keep up with the changing times. So when a wireless router thingamajig landed on my lap ( after being pestered by my shockingly modern parents ), I had no choice but to test it out.

Much against my will though. Doctors believe in the adage if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Broken?
Should we fix this?

But I tried. Though you can easily imagine the sheer amount of cursing and swear words that ensued initially ( surely enough to make a sailor blush! ). There were times I even felt like chucking the entire hostile thingamajig out the window. Seriously. I am not into reading dull boring instruction manuals! Give me something dummy-proof anytime. Wouldn't it be so easy if everything came with only simple one-touch buttons?

Press this to start wifi.

Simple. Easy.

But obviously aspiring engineers need to give us all a hard time by coming up with a series of complex instructions with dozens of confusing lil diagrams attached. Probably provides them with a sense of self-worth :) For a techno-himbo like me, it took almost half an hour to figure out the entire script before I had the wireless functioning properly. Even with the setup assistant supposedly onhand to provide help.

But it finally worked. Like magic.

So if you're close by and you see a wireless with the name Sluts Streamyx, then you know I might be staying close by. Spell supercalifragilisticexpialidocious correctly and you just might get through the network key.

Of course in my life, Murphy's Law always runs true. Nothing ever runs smoothly. Once I got the exasperating machine started though, I realized that the idiotic firewall / router / thingamajig had fucked up my peer-to-peer download with the listening ports blocked to hell.

Seriously. Frustrating head-smashing-into-wall moment.

See why I would have preferred a dummy-proof one-button method?

9 comments:

V said...

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious??

what the hell is that??

sounds like the name of a particular STD~ ;P

Little Dove said...

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! Um-diddle-diddle-um-diddleye Um-diddle-diddle-um-diddleye
o(∩_∩)o

Legolas said...

Sigh... Let me fix that port forwarding thing for you.

Twilight Man said...

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! Wow I learnt a new word today LOL...!!

Fable Frog said...

oh~ if used like half hour to get it done actually is not bad eh~ it took me hours~ hmmm maybe peeps born in our year are himbo *gasp*

and i have the same problem with peer to peer too! urgh that is why i left GG at season 2 ep. 10

Anonymous said...

tats why sometimes i find utilitarian frens are very important :P, i always call fren who are good at this when i have this kinda problem, i nvr hv the patience to sit there for hours just to figure it out.

Janvier said...

We'll only probably watch Mary Poppins once more, just to remember how it goes. It's been ages since we'd watch it on TV3!

Yay your home is wifi'ed now!

Life for Beginners said...

"Sluts Streamyx"? *guffaws*

Man, wouldn't we like to get on that network... ;)

savante said...

OMG, B! That's from Mary Poppins!

See. Lil Dove just sang the song!

Yes you should, leggie.

Not that you'd have much opportunity to use it, twilight :)

I know! Bimbos R Us, froggie!

Certainly need more of those utilitarian buds, happy!

Finally, I know, janvier.

Couldn't think of a name at the time, life.

P