Saturday, May 02, 2009

Stop and Stare

Really. That's all I could do.

Especially when a friend of mine told me so in such matter-of-fact terms over a cup of coffee. Methodical Marie has been away for a couple of years - working as an au pair surprisingly enough :) Been a while since we'd shared a cuppa at a cafe while watching the boys go by.

Paul : Damn. That fella's cute.
Marie : Oh yes he is.
Paul : Too bad he's married.
Marie : Not a problem.
Paul : You're going to have an affair with a married man?
Marie : All I have to do is wait. Give him three years. He'll be divorced by then and I'll get my chance.

And she said it so coolly, so calmly, so confidently. No room for argument really.

I listened really hard for at least a hint of sarcasm but there wasn't any. Nay-sayer Marie was in earnest. Seemed like her time abroad had not only given her a spectacular dye job but she'd also gotten an entirely cynical outlook on life. And marriage in particular.

Marriage
Casualties of Marriage?

When I balked over her depressing pessimism, she only climbed on the proverbial soapbox.

Not only did Marie start expounding on the shockingly high rate of divorces, she also started giving me the names of the divorcees I knew personally ( and even a handful I never even knew had gotten divorced! ). A couple bailed on their marriages barely months after the solemn I Dos. Some even scrambled for the Annulment Forms on their hasty way out of City Hall.

Did a quick mental calculation and was taken aback. Just in my early thirties and I already know folks who have been divorced. Twice?! Possibly heading down the Elizabeth Taylor multi-marriage trail.

OMFG. Really. Is divorce getting to be that common?

Guess gay relationships aren't the only ones plagued with shocking brevity! Has it actually become a Seven Month Itch? What happened to for better or for worse? What the fuck happened to happily ever after?

8 comments:

the viennamese said...

"For better or for worse"

I think most treat that as a question now, and their answer is 'for better'. So they bail if their spouse begins to stray towards 'worse'. And uhh... happy-ever-after's a lie.

V said...

just live life to the fullest no matter if you r attached or not~

life's too short to be wasted on arguing trivial matters! :)

Matt. K. said...

Oh, gone were the days of fidelity in a happy marriage on a strong foundation. People are either to promiscuous to stick with one partner or they're to rash on their decisions to marry.

Then again, husbands these days can get ultimately hot. Who are we to blame them for making us want to pry them away from their their undeserving (so I think) wives? LOL

Love the new banner - Henry Cavill, tasteful choice!

the Constantly Dramatic One said...

God knows, I'm searching for mine.

Tanglebloom said...

and they say same sex marriages disgrace the sanctity of a marriage.

^^WiLLY LaM^^ said...

marie sounded like cursing that cute guy LOL

KhaO-LAr-sEXy-PRESS said...

oh dear... marie is so scary. :P never burn a women or u rot in hell. :P

savante said...

Sure it's a myth but we all have to work towards that, Evann :)

Totally agree. So amazed when she said the divorce bit, B!

True. If Cavill was married, I'd try to pry him away too, Matt.

Someday they will come, dramatic one!

What I said as well, tangle :) Just look at poor Britney!

Probably a self-fulfilling wish, willy.

Women are scary for sure, khaolar.

P