Sunday, May 10, 2009

Tombstones and Epitaphs

Take a detour along the crooked streets in our older cities and you'll find quaint little cemeteries tucked in behind fragrant frangipani trees. Perfectly serene alleys of endless white-washed marble tombs with finely carved statues of angels weeping over the dead long buried.

That is if some of the more reckless ( and mindless ) religious zealots haven't come by to vandalize the place by aiming potshots at the carvings. Fools they are for not appreciating the beauty of a timeless cemetery.

As I do. A funny hobby ( kinda like my mother's penchant for skimming through the daily obituaries ) but I've actually walked through a few cemeteries in my time - despite the fact that I actually know none of the deceased inhabitants within. Even took a detour through Paris just to look for the infamous cemeteries there. Yet I find it interesting to note some of the more interesting personalities that lived in the past - marked by the loving epitaphs written by those they left behind.

My friends didn't enjoy my thoroughly macabre hobby as much but they certainly chipped in plenty of their own ideas when we started talking about epitaphs. A couple even started waxing lyrical with overly sentimental poetry about themselves.

Solemn
Thinking epitaphs

I wouldn't want any weepy soliloquies on my tombstone.

Me, I'd like a pair of ripped hunky angels - with more than a little resemblance to Chris Evans - adorning the top of my marble tomb. Possibly draped in sheer skimpy togas that leave nothing to the imagination - just to horrify the puritanical visitors who'll hurry by indignantly.

And coated in a layer of unbreakable adamantium just to frustrate the wicked vandals!

Of course I'll have flowers on my tombstone. My angels would be delicately framed with calla lilies and deep red roses like drops of blood. I'm not a fussy sort who needs a dozen sonnets in praise of myself engraved on the tombstone. Simple and sweet, I think all I'd want is the name and the date.

It would make people stop and wonder, wouldn't it? :)

5 comments:

.:: Ant ::. said...

Rainbow-coloured tombstone would be nice! ^_^

+Ant+

Janvier said...

Last one we visited was the Necropolis at Glasgow!

We'd like our own family mausoleum.

Twilight Man said...

Let's go to the Christian Cemeteries in Penang! There is one with a marble dog engraved on the spot it died on its Master's grave after being sad for a weeks. Now I found a buddy for Tomb browsing. Eeerr leave Calvin behind first.

V said...

tomb browsing is fun!

at night it's even better!! ;P

savante said...

Better with neon lights and a disco ball, anton :) The better to see at nite!

Missed that bit. All I remember in Glasgow are the dark gloomy factories, janvier :)

Definitely will not bring Calvin along. And yeah, I went by there too, twilight!

At night, B? And what were you doing there? :)

P