Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Return of the Matchmaker

Perhaps my niece Chatty Carmen had gotten brainwashed during her brief sojourn in the embattled Middle East but lately she seems to have gotten onto the same marriage wagon as my mother has. Practically the first question she asked me as she got off the plane was in regards to my marriageable ( or not? ) status. Swear I thought she was a pint-sized mini matchmaking mama!

Has 'when are you getting married' become the new greeting? What happened to the usual welcome back and hellos?

Like all little girls, Chatty Carmen has her eyes set on the perfect wedding with dreamy sketches of the quintessential white gown full of bows, ruffles and lace. Ever resourceful, our aggressive lil champ even set her target on a couple of youthful grooms though her ambitious nuptial plans fell through when they didn't seem to understand what commitment was. Doubt they could even spell the word.

That happens when you're only four.

Suits
Did I just get a proposal?

Though I'm beginning to suspect some fellas don't even know the meaning at forty.

But since my ageist brother has set the rules that there'll be no talk of marriage till she's eighteen, Carmen has decided to crash someone else's wedding plans instead. Mine.

Carmen : I want to be a flower girl.
Paul : Good for you. Let's go buy flowers then.
Carmen : Not that kind of flower girl!
Paul : You have flowers. You're a girl. You're a flower girl.
Carmen : No! I want to be a flower girl in the wedding.
Paul : I bet there are weddings everywhere. I'll check the papers. We can just send you in with a floral basket.
Carmen : No! It has to be your wedding! So when are you getting married?
Paul : When you're eighteen?
Carmen : No!

I know! I'm so monstrous winding lil kids up. Good to know that Carmen's quite capable of saying no though.

Wonder whether my mother put her up to it. One of her Jedi mind-tricks no doubt. Probably hatching some matrimonial scheme online while they're on Skype.

8 comments:

Reszurrecdito M. d'Saintner said...

You love to wind people up with words? I didn't know that!

Jason said...

I think Carmen is very cute :)
Luckily my kids(student) won't ask me that question. Instead, they keep guessing which girl(female college) was my girlfriend.

V said...

ask charming calvin to cross-dress/drag and tell carmen that's your gf!~ LOL ;P

Anonymous said...

heheeee such a cute niece u have :P, mayb u can fight back by brainwashing her with some gay-ish idea and storm ur mum in return? :P

MrBunnyBan said...

Oh, just tell her you're waiting for the right one! Introduce the concept of choosing a life partner carefully - your brother will thank you for that.

(But the conversation was awfully cute. :P )

Kenny Mah said...

Carmen : No! It has to be your wedding! So when are you getting married?
Paul : When you're eighteen?
Carmen : No!


Wicked. But oh so cute also. :)

Bradley Hyunckel said...

no more "when are you getting married?",now with the latest:"when are you gonna let me have grandchildren?"

*sigh*parent those and these day were the same...

savante said...

Wind people up with words, mann? Nah, only my niece.

Soon they will be asking when you're settling down, jason!

Cross-dress! Can't imagine straight-laced Calvin doing that, B!

She has been asking some pretty queer questions lately, happy.

Well Carmen is cute, Ban!

I know, life, I just love to wind her up.

Think I might be the same someday, bradley :)

P