Monday, July 20, 2009

Requieim for Ianto Jones

Been a while since I got caught up with a decent sci-fi series ( last one was the incomparable Firefly I believe ) but I've been getting quite obsessed with Torchwood lately. A pity the BBC releases only a few episodes each season - about a dozen or so each - kinda like wartime rationing if you ask me. Wouldn't have minded getting a lil bit more of Captain Jack Harkness and his Torchwood gang. Or even the roommate trio of the vamp, the werewolf and the ghost in Being Human.

Fortunately there's always reruns.

The series is set in Cardiff and follows the Welsh branch of a covert agency called the Torchwood Institute which investigates extraterrestrial incidents on Earth and scavenges alien technology for its own use. A late spin-off the infamous BBC science fiction drama Dr Who, Torchwood was something I never thought I'd grow to enjoy. Honestly I could barely last through an entire episode of Dr Who way back then ( prior to the recent revival ) so I figured the spin-off would bore me as well.

Well I was wrong.

Loved it actually. Especially that Welsh fellow.

Ianto Jones played by Gareth David-Lloyd
And I carry a big gun!

Torchwood’s dependable odd job man Ianto Jones who metamorphosed from a piece of office equipment into a very complex figure indeed. Though initially blending into the background as the unobtrusive butler figure waiting to clean up shit with no questions asked, he turns out to be the real dark horse amongst his more outgoing counterparts.

After all he had to get into Torchwood.

To hide his Amazonian Killer Fembot girlfriend in the basement. Though she seemed to have developed a slight glitch - what with her crazy megalomaniacal plans to conquer the known universe! Rabid killer rampages certainly doesn't faze our unflappable Mr Jones.

And what better way to get a job at Torchwood than to seduce your future boss with an open collar, tight jeans and sweet, sweet coffee. Amongst other fringe benefits.

Of course that only applies when you're a cute young thing like Ianto Jones.


Seriously. Doesn't that make you curious about Torchwood already?

Ianto Jones? Reminds me just a little of Charming Calvin. That serious, buttoned-down demeanour. That quiet, dry humour.

And that love for freshly pressed shirts.

Just hope he doesn't have hidden secrets buried in the basement.

4 comments:

MrBunnyBan said...

Does he come back, I wonder? :(

Janvier said...

You never mentioned that they dallied with each other!

savante said...

Really hope so. But I doubt it, Ban. Brit series tend to permanently off people.

Well of course they dabble, janvier :)

P

Anonymous said...

OMG! Another Malaysian who is hooked on Torchwood? Never thought I'd find one. Just downloaded Children of Earth and it's amazing. Better than season 1. I hope there will be another season.