Sunday, July 05, 2009

Walking The Walk

I never had the pleasure of walking to school.

So I'm obviously making up for it big time. Especially with my workplace barely a stone's throw away.

You learn early on that children walk to school. After all you see the cheery fresh-faced students in teenage American dramas taking that brisk morning walk to school. Down those endless tree-lined sidewalks pass cookie-cutter suburban houses straight out of Pleasantville.

Back home, I only had a couple of friends who biked to school. For reasons unbeknownst - perhaps a paranoid suburban fear of perverted paedophiles - hardly anyone walked though. Most of them boarded lumbering schoolbuses ( cramped up to the gills with screaming schoolkids ).

Unfortunately the only way I could do that walk was by waking up the night before since I lived more than ten kilometres away from town. Schlepping my way across town with my inordinately heavy bag of textbooks would probably kill me.

If I wasn't run over by a fleet of runaway schoolbuses.

Country
Country boys!

So now I walk to work with my laptop bag - dawdling my way across endless green meadows, dusty country lanes and busy vegetable patches. All very rural, I assure you. Almost feel like chewing on a bit of grass ( do country folk do that out of boredom? ). Hardly any sexy country boys horsing around though.

Still here's hoping that the fresh air does one good. Pity I can't take a walk to the friendly neighbourhood tuckshop though since the majority of the stores lie miles away in the town centre.

Still I think there's a little grocery store half a mile down the road.

Think I might take a walk.


Not at midnight though.

7 comments:

Bradley Hyunckel said...

walk to school with heavy bag;walk to working place with laptop...something will never change...should have companion together

Ryan said...

Wow... this Megan Joy is good. Like the song!

.:: Ant ::. said...

Like her lil' cuckoo character. Pity her dumb act offended Simon Cowell which got her booted out.

+Ant+

MrBunnyBan said...

Endless green meadows and vegetable patches? You're so growing carrots and tomatoes of your own for us here! :)

Legolas said...

Megan was supposed to be sick that week while she sang that song. A nice song.

savante said...

Will be hunting for one then, bradley :)

Unfortunately got kicked out of Idol, Ryan. But at least she stayed quite a long while.

You mean her Rockin Robin bit, anton? Think Simon Cowell almost strangled her :P

Hardly. But maybe some lemongrass, ban!

So she sang the song again on Ellen, leggy!

P

whoaa, mello said...

I LOVE walking. Period.

(Morning, afternoon, evening or midnight) =D