Monday, September 07, 2009

Mr Smith Goes to Miri II

Forget about Daiso.

Over here in this city of tight-wad towkays, pinch-penny frugality rules and thrifty dime stores abound. Which explains the serious lack of quality retail stores since few would survive in this parsimonious environment! Don't expect high street shops here. Country folks here like their things cheap and serviceable.

Possibly to compensate for hiking up the prices of everything imported! Everything from furniture to branded goods. Even the damned newspapers cost more here.

So ten-cent outlets have thrived here with dozens opening their doors to the great unwashed in the past few years. Previously I might have turned up my nose at such tacky outlets but in such a hostile retail environment, a dedicated shopaholic has no choice but to fall into line. Nothing else but bargain stores here. Hell, I'm halfway to being converted into a die-hard fan.

Mad Men
Wife : We aren't taking the cab?
Husband : Of course not! We're gonna save by walking!

Shabby chic takes on an entirely new meaning when all the furnishings in my house has been purchased almost at a steal. Seriously. I could host a show on interior decor for less than a hundred. Ready-made curtains at only a fraction of the cost. Throw pillows at slightly more than 5 bucks.

And I also get rebate on top of that.

Reason I have all their store cards from Supersave to One Stop Save. Obviously saving is a priority here.

Something that quickly earned the disgust of my visiting ISO.

My ISO : What are you doing?
Paul : Cutting coupons? Gets me a 20% discount.
My ISO : Good God.
Paul : And ta-da! An additional rebate with my membership card!
My ISO : You need to leave this place now.
Paul : Look. Buy one free one. How can you resist?
My ISO : Out!
Paul : But honey, we cain't afford the good stuff! What will lil Wally and Beaver have for dinner!
My ISO : Why, they'll just have to starve. Move it, June Cleaver!

With the bargains around, guess I don't have to beg, borrow or steal anymore.

Maybe I'll do all my Christmas shopping here!

10 comments:

Bradley Hyunckel said...

that coupons scene...where i read it huh???oh yeah in that book but i dont know which???johnny diaz's?tom dolby's???
Dejavu

Twilight Man said...

Oh dear, just when I was arranging dinner for Mr Smith, he's off to Miri. I nearly died of boredom even in bigger towns like Sibu and Kuching. Well, you are fortunately a bookworm, so this is essential for survival in land of hornbills.

MrBunnyBan said...

...hah? How unusual!

Legolas said...

That's good. You can save money and chip in now that I've decided to buy a condo.

pojaya said...

Those bargain shops can have their own special allure! I must admit I have been tempted once or twice!

Janvier said...

You've already gotten their membership cards? That's quick!

savante said...

The coupon scene is legend amongst housewives of the fifties, brad :)

What a place, twilight!

Nothing like economizing, ban. Will learn from you.

Have you finally settled on a place, leggy?

Splurge on one dollar items, pojaya. IT's fun!

Already? I got it the first week I was here, janvier!

P

Anonymous said...

I presume that soon you'll be a smart shopper who is good in bargaining and eventually, financial planning!

Now, how are you going to survive once you return to the Peninsula? LOL!

sharman said...

so there is a silver lining in miri :)

savante said...

Well hopefully richer when I finally get back, D :)

A really small one - and you have to search really hard to find it - but it's there nonetheless, sharman.