Monday, September 28, 2009

Rebel Without a Cause

Teenage rebellion.

Some suffer through with a whimper, some burst out with a shout - but we've all gone through those crazy years of loudly churning hormones. Mine was surprisingly sedate in comparison. Figured I'd already rebelled enough by turning queer, I didn't need to add junkie, skank and school dropout to my list of sins. So no, my liberal parents never really had the opportunity to read me the riot act.

Hell, I never even had a freakin curfew.

Same goes for my brother. Though I seemed to think rules were made to be bent, I doubt my straightlaced brother ever broke any rules in school! Bet my parents were a tad disappointed that we both ended up pretty okay to say the least.

Certainly would have made it tough for a third sibling if we'd actually had one. Perhaps that's fortunate since he or she would be living up to impossible expectations! Not only would I be riding him hard, my older brother would probably be torturing the lil fellow with hours of additional homework. And daily nagging.

And possibly a noogie or two per day to keep him on his toes.

Poor kid.

So I could definitely sympathize when a friend of mine returned after a stint abroad only to find her younger brother changed from what he was previously. Raging testosterone had changed the chubby angel into an ill-mannered, hot-tempered tweenager with mood swings, dubious hairstyling choices and a tendency to slam doors.

Wild
Rebels without a Cause!

What my teacher-parents would term the middle class syndrome - an unfortunate effect of streaming classes academically. These lost, demoralized kids are caught in the middle - not quite fitting in with the overachieving school elite in the upper classes and yet not mentally challenged enough to mesh with the simpler folk in the lower classes. Just the perfect recipe for juvenile delinquency.

Of course when I met up with James Dean Jr, I could see what my friend meant by acting out. Seriously an aspiring lil Chinese gangsta with the spiky hair, the grungy checkered shirt and lackadaisical attitude to spare. One glance was enough to tell me that the dubious posse he'd fallen into could only be interested in skipping classes, hocking contraband dvds and hooking up with impressionable ah lians.

And gelling up their hair into impossible heights reminiscent of the karst pinnacles of Mulu.

My initial response would be to spank first, talk later. Though handing him the Turkish treatment would be wrong of course. For rebellious boys his age, I doubt a decent caning would even leave a discernible dent. Sparing the rod would be wise since I think all he needs is a keen watchful eye and a firm hand to guide.

After several minutes of observation, I found the black sheep far from a lost cause. From the horror stories I'd heard, I half expected him to curse in six different native languages, toss chairs about and spank waitresses as they walked by. Certainly didn't display any of the irrational habits I'd expected and he turned out to be quite reasonable for his age.

No, he's not irredeemable. Especially with a sister who cares.

Though maybe a trip to a reputable hairstyling salon wouldn't be amiss.

Seriously. How lax are schools these days? Doesn't the discipline teacher give razorcuts to recalcitrants anymore?

8 comments:

Rae P said...

i love the fact that u use the term tweenager xD

and most probably, in James Dean Jr's case - he is the least of the discipline teacher's problem?

Kenny Mah said...

The grungy checkered shirts never seem to go out of style with teenage rebels, do they?

I say spank first, and then spank harder if they ask for more nicely... :P

William said...

Students are king these days. And teachers can't be bothered.

Pluboy2 said...

I was a king too in school.. hahaha rebelling most of the time.. and yet I was a school prefect...

fufu said...

well... are we going to follow japanese? you know what? almost all the jpnese students dye their hair and girls wear mini skirt... blablabla.... the world has dramatically changed already... what to do? it's the trend =p we gotta follow... but just wish the system wont get worse!!

Janvier said...

The times they are a'changin!

MrBunnyBan said...

You want to ride your brother? Ish ish ish...

savante said...

Well he's not young enough to be a tween, rae :)

What's with the checkered shirts, life. Seen the wild colours?

Time for a bit of discipline, will.

I was a good boy myself, takashi.

Bring out the whip, I guess fufu.

THink it was always like that. We just didn't notice as much, janvier.

Muahahaha, ban.

P