Friday, September 18, 2009

Resident Hothead

Isn't age supposed to mellow us? At least that's what I thought.

While I always fancy myself the cool sensible fella, it seems that I might be wrong. Just when I was teasing my junior colleague, Ebullient Eve, for having a shockingly short fuse, I was quickly brought down to earth by Kool Ken.

Paul : Ah the fury of youth! Eve certainly does fly off the handle easily!
Ken : Kettle calling the pot black?
Paul : Hey, I'm not that ...
Ken : Says the angry man. Didn't you fly up into the boughs during the meeting when they suggested the department transfer? I thought you were going to leap across the table to strangle the them.
Paul : Of course not. I did consider throwing my coffee cup at him. But I needed my caffeine badly.
Ken : Or the other day when you stalked all the way to the ward to rant at the intern?
Paul : Seriously. She wrote the shortest clerking history ever for a patient. It was pratically a telegram. At least I resisted mightily the urge to throttle her.
Ken : Watch that blood pressure, dude!

Okay. So I'm not exactly the spirit of zen.

Jonathan
You gotta chill, dude!

Didn't take me long to realize that actually. Compared to my uber-cool, laid-back colleague Kool Ken, I'm practically the resident hothead wielding a blowtorch. Almost nothing fazes the fella, possibly not even the threat of nuclear attack.

Despite my trying to keep a low profile - and present a generally smiling face to all, it didn't take long for the devilish horns to appear. But it's hard to keep my cool in certain insupportable moments!

And seriously. That exasperating intern? Talk about a brief history. It couldn't have been more than two sentences with the presenting complaint completed in five words or less. I would have appreciated at least some sort of a premorbid history especially for an octogenarian who has been in and out of hospital periodically for the past decade. Surely that must have had some impact.

How could I not hit the roof?

Tried my best not to bite her head off and slowly walked her through the methods of presenting a proper clinical history. Even the fact that she stared inanely failed to incense me - though a nurse passing by claimed that the vein on my forehead seemed to be throbbing fit to burst.

Let's not even talk about the department transfer.

15 comments:

Ryan said...

take a deep breath always and be cool and steady! Ah forget it! I am a hothead myself. I should attend anger management course.

Btw, I want to lick the milk off the man's body in the photo!!

MrBunnyBan said...

i think guys born in your year are memang cepat panas...

manglish said...

hahahha....thanks for dropping by....well, you had your share of shits as an intern, why not just let one go? live and let live :)

Kris said...

hahaha!!! I think I'll like your personality still, and this sounds awfully like Scrubs :)

Janvier said...

HAHAHA telegram clerking history! Probably she could write you a three-page history in Mandarin tho'. :P

RPMnut said...

If Kool Ken looks anything like the milkman, I'm booking a flight to Miri right bloody now :)

Bradley Hyunckel said...

the milky dude might cool down ya anger?

William said...

Blowtorch? You sure it's not a flamethrower?

Kenny Mah said...

Ah perhaps you're not so much a hothead as you're a perfectionist? I can relate. We are so misunderstood, we are. LOL

ray brixton said...

thanx for dropping by my blog.. i hope u will have a great time in china... may you have a successful and happy future.. cheers..

chico said...

try out meditation every night ^^

Little Dove said...

If age is supposed to mellow us and subdue temper, that only means you are still young. :)

sharman said...

you know what, this being the festive season, time to bermaaf zahir & batin :)

though not sure what you're gonna do with all the tenaga batin :P

Anonymous said...

You should take yoga classes. It might help you relax and chill. I am normally a hotheaded person but lately I learned how to be more calm or I guess Odd's personality is rubbing off on me.

nase said...

just let it all out. I would have strangled that telegram clerking intern!