Friday, September 11, 2009

Scissors-swinging Smurfette at the Swanky Salon

Like my girlfriends' husbands, my hair is endless stubborn, totally unmanageable and hopelessly straight. All attempts to tame it seem to have failed miserably. Without a serious hedge trim every few weeks, my hair usually ends up in thorny spikes all over my head.

But with the hiked-up prices for goods and services here, it comes as no surprise that even a simple haircut costs a small fortune. Certainly given me a rethink about my career path with the exorbitant fees these frou frou hairstylists charge! Why go to medical school when you can charge an arm and a leg for clipped sideburns?

So as I stumbled out of the swanky salon ( after hearing the inordinately expensive price of chopping my crop ), I made a quick beeline towards the school of hairdressing right opposite. Seriously, thank God for aspiring students.

Sure, you get the failures once in a while but every once in a while, you do bump into an A-star student. A Vidal Sassoon wannabe.

Me, I got Scissors-swinging Smurfette twice.

Fire
Time for a trim?

Certainly an overachiever desperate to please her hapless customers. Not only did Smurfette leap into the sidewalk to accost me, she practically stabbed me with her freakishly sharp shears as she waved them around adjuring me to come in. Shoving me into a conveniently placed chair, she immediately fished out an apron to drape over me and dumped an entire bottle of shampoo on my head.

Then despite the fact that I tried to dissuade her, she insisted on continuing with the prerequisite head-squeeze. Seriously. Does anyone actually appreciate getting a what amounts to a noogie at the salon? Despite her puny size, Smurfette was certainly undaunted and tried her best to crush my skull with her misguided massage techniques.

Her childish enthusiasm amused me though. Even the way she knotted the towel around my head to resemble a tengkolok ( traditional Malay headdress ) rather than the normal twist was cute.

Smurfette : OMG. I got your shirt wet, didn't I!
Paul : I walked here in a shirt and tie. The temperature here's hotter than hell. Of course I'm wet.
Smurfette : It can't be sweat. I must have drowned you while I got your hair washed!
Paul : Relax. It's sweat.
Smurfette : So sorry I got you wet! Take off your shirt and I'll get it dried!
Paul : I shall do no such thing.

If I'd taken umbrage, no doubt she would have kowtowed to ask for my forgiveness. Our chirpy lil miss tries so hard. Of course all her feminine charms are wasted on me. Sadly I'd probably appreciate her enthusiasm more if she resembled a virile six-foot hunk.

Wonder whether I trust her to highlight my hair.

10 comments:

Little Dove said...

Hairstylists, dentists, mechanics. Everyone earns more than doctors!

Gosh, a girl made you wet! Lol. Did she give you a sensual neck massage? ;p

MrBunnyBan said...

Don't trust her to do anything!

blue said...

wow she actually asked u to take off your shirt? Guess ur just too charming or sexy even. LOL

Unknown said...

a student eh? i last visited academy school and she took 3 hours for a haircut. imagine how bad the student is XD


[Jino] - A man's not a man unless he knows how to shoot

dheep said...

haha she must have thought u r straight~

Kenny Mah said...

"Does anyone actually appreciate getting a what amounts to a noogie at the salon?"

Yes, once. So man, I get what you went through... Not so much the scissors-swinging though... Lose an ear, much? :P

William said...

She may go for the jugular the next time you visit.

cYiD said...

had a student hair stylist once~
a guy~
hahahaha... nuf said...
no complaints there~

lol... hope ur skull is still its rightful shape! :D

Unknown said...

She wasted her powers on you with her sexual advances.

How was the cut?

savante said...

Depressing isn't it? Should have dropped out of school way back when, lil dove.

IT's alright. I'm still alive, ban.

She was wildly insane, bluesoul!

Surprisingly Smurfette was pretty fast for a student, jino.

Obviously she did, dheepan.

Kept my ears. Though you like noogies, life? :)

Will hide from her next time, william.

IT's still oval shaped, cYiD!

Alright cut. Still have all my parts intact thankfully, jeve!

P