Thursday, October 29, 2009

How Do You Solve a Problem

Like Nervous Nancy.

Seems she takes just about everything casually. And I think it's time we put a stop to that. Isn't that casual attitude being carried just a litle too far these days? Seriously. Better to be overdressed than underdressed! Dressing in a cheap tee, tattered shorts and neon-coloured crocs for a day out can only be acceptable at a beach party, a night market - or if a recent disastrous fire has razed all your belongings.

Otherwise, no.

Gracious. Might as well strut about on the streets in ratty pyjamas.

Don Draper
How times have changed.

See what this apathetic insouciance has led to? Even weddings have become way too laid-back. At least for our unconcerned Nancy.

With a wedding set two months from now, she has neither invitation cards nor a guest list. Hell, she doesn't even have a proper venue for the momentous event.

Nancy : Oh, I'm sure I'll be able to find a decent table.
Paul : In your hometown? I seriously doubt it. Unless you're keen to toast to your wedding with teh tarik at a mamak stall? Maybe send instant messages to your guests for the place.
Nancy : Not that bad mah. You think I should get my dress done too?
Paul : At this rate, the only ensemble available for you should be the ones reserved for runaway teenage pregnancies and one-night-wedding skanks.

Isn't she in need of a proper lesson in marriage etiquette? Where have all the wickedly proper mothers-in-law gone? Have they all died out leaving me with the only specimen left?

I know folks are getting casual these days but it's getting a tad ridiculous when a hurried engagement's cobbled together in a couple of weeks. What happened to making the wedding day a once-in-a-lifetime event? A beautiful memorable occasion to be enjoyed by all?

Seriously, if it's such a bother why go to all that trouble anyway? Why not just stop off at the city hall on the way to work and purchase a certificate from the marriage machine?

And they say it's the gay men sullying the institution of marriage. Think again.

5 comments:

William said...

Forget about the ROM. Print your own cert. Go to a neopets photo booth. And do a notification on FB. Voila.

Legolas said...

Don Draper is so sexy and charming.

cYiD said...

i like william's idea!
lol!

san said...

Oh dear....I may be her in the future so good thing I got 2 gay friends to agree to do my wedding plans for me so I need not worry tee hee.

savante said...

That's what I suggested too, william!

Gotta start my mad men soon, legolas.

Definitely an idea. She might even go for it, cYiD!

Don't you dare, san. Plan it now!

P