Thursday, October 08, 2009

Leave Your Crocs at Home

Really. What happened to dress codes?

I know work culture has become shockingly casual these days but since when has it become acceptable to strut around in crocs at work! Even more astonishing to see Nervous Nancy clambering up the stairs in startling pink ones.

Paul : Good God. What are those?
Nancy: Crocs?
Paul : You're going to sail the wards in these boats?
Nancy : Yes, they are comfortable.
Paul : And looking terribly professional, I might add. Please stand five feet away from me, okay.
Nancy : Oh, you want me to change to sandals instead?
Paul : Let me remind you, sandals are not shoes.

Seriously. What shockingly egalitarian, fashionably lax convent did she go to? Have the wicked mean girls taught her exactly nothing? There seems to be some slight confusion as to what shoes are appropriate to wear with a skirt at work. Pumps, stilettos, flats - all seem perfectly fine.

But colourful plastic clogs?

Sorry, darling.

Chuck
Clogs? Really.

Of course their avowed proponents - including our very own Nervous Nancy in their overzealous ranks - keep raving deludedly about how the overpriced plastic foam molds perfectly to the contours of their feet making it surprisingly comfy. But seriously? What a croc! Comfortable? Have you ever tried walking in these ridiculous plastic clogs? If I didn't have to do so at work to avoid falling metal instruments, I would throw them in the garbage disposal.

And let's not bring up how hideous they really are. I'm sure this one quote should suffice.

Since beauty and impracticality often go hand in hand, it seems likely that many will have taken one look at the Croc and decided that it must be incredibly practical.


Far from the arbiter of personal style so I grant you the right to wear it out anywhere you want. After all it comes in so many unfashionable styles and garish colours these days. Croc lovers with their indiscriminate predilection for silly shoes have worn them to beaches, to malls and to gala society events.

But to work? Really. Fuck casual Fridays. We have to draw the line somewhere. Now if Nancy starts buying jibbitz, I just might have to strangle her.

And throw away her shoes.

11 comments:

nase said...

it's a plaque, I tell ya and it has reached your shore too. I can only squeal in fright and disgust every time I chance upon those in the hospital committing such a fashion faux pas.

the viennamese said...

Only a handful of the population can pull off Crocs. And those who can appear on the ads and make Crocs look so fabulous that many think they look nice in them. Heaven forbid.

Casual Fridays? Really? That's silly. Does that mean that one can work "casually" too? Might as well call it a 3-day weekend then.

TJay said...

Speaking of work Sung... LOL! I ran into this book the other day at Kinokuniya books in the International District. I read the title and thought of you immediately!

WOO HOO... would the good doctor love this book!! GRIN!!!

It's called: GAY'S ANATOMY

http://www.amazon.com/Gays-Anatomy-You-Higashino/dp/1598834533

TJay

JustMe said...

Crocs must not get anywhere near my radar cause it's freaking hideous. i think even Dr. Jack Shephard can't pull off crocs. Unless he wears nothing but crocs...

Little Dove said...

Crocs have invaded Malaysian hospitals. Run!

p/s: I think they are nice to wear in OT. ^_^

William said...

I'd like to see a bride wear a pair white crocs during her wedding.

Cheryl said...

crocs...i cant wear that. i can only wear birkenstock and the formal shoes is ugly

Janvier said...

We love our Crocs - they don't stand out as fugly! :D

Kenny Mah said...

@William: Bridal Crocs? That'd be a first! :P

I guess it's a matter of preference but I vote NAY.

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul, need to send you a private msg, how do I do about it?

my email abc.caven@gmail.com

Thank you!

NO CROCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

OH SHUSH!
I've been wearing them for 2 years now! It's equivalent to walking around barefoot! Just SO Comfortable!

and SO easy to maintain and clean etc etc etc