Friday, November 06, 2009

A Fishwife's Tale

Ever been on the wrong side of a crazed rant meant for someone else?

Virago : You sir! I have things to tell you!
Paul : Umm. Hello strange lady?
Virago : You boss true? I have many things, oh many things to say.
Paul : Umm. You came to the right place?
Virago : Go tell that bitch intern of yours that she's not fit to scrub my toilet!
Paul : Umm. Duly noted.
Virago : Unprofessional she is. Terrible!
Paul : Could you speak a little louder? Think they didn't hear you in Timbuktu.

As calm as she looked before, who could have known that I'd be jabbing a hornet's nest!

Angry would be putting it mildly. Judging by the throbbing vein on her wrinkled forehead, I half imagined I'd have to save her from an impending stroke. And she went on for at least ten minutes after that though in a slightly lower decibel.

Man
Before the crazy comes in!

For a fellow who comes from a pseudoWASPy family where we barely raise our voice above a whisper during a conversation - other than my toddler nephew who insists on speaking in an entirely audible yell all the time, you can imagine what I thought to have this relatively ferocious virago harangue me in public. Short of stuffing her mouth with tape, I doubt we could stem the overflowing dam of frustration. Even then I was this close to yelling 'shut the fuck up'.

Come on, the patients in the clinic didn't come here for a floor show.

Fortunately it wasn't about me in the slightest. Though I do pity the one it was intended for. To think that the crazed termagant had years of pent-up frustration ready to explode at a moment's notice. Curious to see who else made her insane hit list.

That she-devil was this close to running amuck. Probably would have if I'd continued poking her with a sharp stick. Makes me wonder whether I actually transform into an unreasonable shrew when goaded. Seriously doubt it though. Get so much quieter the angrier I get so I usually don't participate in screaming matches.

3 comments:

William said...

You don't participate in shouting matches? I'm surprised!

Janvier said...

You just reminded us of when we came across a patient who was taking olanzapine. There was a glint in her eye and a sudden flare of temper when she couldn't get what she want!

savante said...

I was brought up a gentleman, sir William!

Crazy patient, janvier!