Monday, November 30, 2009

Point Zero

A mother finds herself in a vaguely incestuous affair.
A girl finds herself in love with her sister's fiancee.
A whore gets herself a makeover from an aspiring director.
A virgin gets himself a guardian angel who just happens to be gay.
An actress finds her chance at stardom.
A dancer finds the love of his life.

And it all happens on a small circle barely two feet in diameter somewhere on the streets of the Puerta del Sol in Madrid called Kilometre Zero.


Or Km.O as it's termed in the movie.

Always been a sucker for spicy screwball romances that occur due to alarmingly misdirected meet-cutes. One feel-good Spanish movie I've actually been searching for quite a while - though for some reason the dvd pirates keep handing me an obscure war-time film from Iraq.

And does it exceed my expectations? It certainly does! Is it of any gay interest? But of course! Seems like the sweltering heat on Madrid's hottest day is getting to everyone. Not only do we get to see a sweet average joe - a schoolteacher no less - fall head-over-heels for a sizzling Spanish dreamboat but we also have a straight groom-to-be bumping horns with an audacious gay confidant.

Which reminds me I better start looking for Spanish lessons somewhere close by.

Chair
A meet-cute in progress. Guess who's gonna get lucky tonight.

Of course not everyone meets their future partner after mistaking them for an internet hook-up. Hardly that memorable.

Far from that actually. Evidently Charming Calvin seems to have forgotten the first time we met! Though I haven't. Fortunately we have a thing called a blog these days. Pretty sure almost everyone has forgotten what it stands for but it's actually short for weblog. So yes, I get to commemorate this date.

No funny chat-up lines. No unlikely coincidences. Just a simple appointment where Calvin came down by train to meet me straight after work. Standing at the bus-stop with his impossibly dilapidated workbag ( fortunately retired! ) and a gift-wrapped present in hand. One striped cream and chestnut tie that I still wear to this day.

Did we have fireworks in the sky? Did we have weeping violins in the background? No. Shame to admit but no, I didn't fall in love at first sight. Didn't even fall after the prerequisite two hours given by romantic comedies. But I did find a nice rhythm going with Charming Calvin - something certainly worth risking that second date for.

How about that for a meet-cute?

12 comments:

Bradley Hyunckel said...

love the scene 1:10 what a shock...
I WILL get the movie...thanks for sharing...
if there's a video of how paul met calvin

Janvier said...

You need Lex if you wanted the weepy violin background music!

Kenny Mah said...

"One striped cream and chestnut tie that I still wear to this day."

Awwww. Monday is not too early in the week for a few good men (for first time romance), eh? So sweet lah this. :)

Anonymous said...

sounds romantic, but not sure its widely available everywhere or i have to brave myself to the rainbow shop again hehehee

William said...

Watched "Angels in America"?

Anonymous said...

Pretty sweet one paul :)

Helix

Legolas said...

I didn't forget. How could I?

Flying Cocks said...

I would like to watch this movie

Chris said...

i 1 2 watch this movie too..

nicky05 said...

hahahaha.... so funny the movie....hehehe...XD

estoylootro said...

I love that film! And the main song is also great.

Got here through your bedtime stories redux, and I think they are really amazing. You should write some more and publish them. Btw. when are we getting new ones? I've already read them all and longing for more!

If you decide to learn Spanish, you can practice reading the story I'm writing ;)

MrBunnyBan said...

The meme asked for the "first memory" - many people thought that meant the first thing that comes to mind when you think of the person, not the way you met.