Sunday, November 01, 2009

Stealing Light

*Shhh*

Speak of it to no one but it seems as if I've been breaking the law.

Thoroughly unbeknownst to me, I've actually been living on borrowed electricity. Well, borrowed as in my shady contractors have connected the power line without informing the source. Oddly enough, the said electric company doesn't seem to be in any hurry to correct the problem.

Light
Let there be light?

Even when I found it timely to inform them a month ago that the power bill hasn't arrived in my post box for several months! Rather than call out the dogs, the call centre only told me to twiddle my thumbs and wait in the most cheerful manner.

So I decided to pay them a visit only to meet Neon Ninny - the surliest customer service personnel ever. With my insistent questions eating into her regular afternoon siesta, she was probably this close to frying me with an electric tazer. You can imagine how frustrated Ninny got when I pestered her to scroll through her lists for my account.

Neon : Seems like there's no registry of your application in our system, sir.
Paul : The forms were filled up three months ago.
Neon : But it's not in our system, sir. I checked twice. There should be no electricity at your place. It was cut off a year ago.
Paul : Oh. You mean the lamps I've been using are powered by magical moonlight?

Obviously that spark of humour didn't serve to amuse the sour-faced puss. Ah, the customer service in Miri. The envy of no one. Only slightly friendlier than uncouth barbarians blithely bashing skulls at the borders.

Far from offering any help, Ninny seemed more inclined to turn herself off. So I threw a minor bitch fit. My enlivening tongue-lashing certainly made her face light up like a neon light. Certainly gave her an electrifying shock.

Fortunately her immediate supervisor - who came running with apologies - proved far more benign.

9 comments:

William said...

She should be promoted.

the viennamese said...

Ha...ha! I remember when we had a power socket that provided un-billed electricity following a renovation. We exploited it for years before the voltage suddenly halved and we couldn't use it no more. :P

Anonymous said...

sorry to say this, but i think i would enjoy the scene of u making her steamy day :P

Legolas said...

I'm totally curious as to how you throw a fit. I've never seen it before.

Bengbeng said...

u should have just let sleeping dogs lie..after all it was free

Musang said...

hahahaha... you had me laughing like crazy at your line. "Oh. You mean the lamps I've been using are powered by magical moonlight?" hahahahahahaha...

or maybe they want to give it to you for free!

Janvier said...

So they are gonna get someone to come look into your illegal electricity? :P

Cheryl said...

you have to pay back what you had use for free so far... :P consider that. haha

Bradley Hyunckel said...

"Lumos" as in Harry Potter?guess u'd hand ur wand on the ceiling,to brighten all in the house?