Monday, December 07, 2009

Playing Truant

I have never actually played truant a day in my life.

Well, almost. With teacher parents, I hardly ever missed a single day of school. Short of a debilitating bout of pneumonia confining me to bed ( sop terribly rare! ) or an unprecedented natural disaster damaging all the possible avenues, I would be promptly left at the school gates by 730 every morning. Without fail. Even until the very last day of school when only freaks and nerds abound.

And after that in medical school, I didn't dare miss a day. With all the monstrously diligent Gungho Ginnys around, it was all I could do to keep up. Not only do they take down endless notes for everything, they also revise them over piles of economy rice during lunch.

Scary. How not to be kiasu like that! Keeping up with the ambitious Ginnys meant attending every single lecture given.

No playing hooky back then.

So obviously I'm making up for it in spades.

Grey's
The expression on everyone's faces.

To the astonishment of everyone I know since I rarely do so. Witness the consternation on my colleagues' faces seeng me skip class.

Ginny : You're skipping class?
Paul : Yup. Errands to run. Chores to do. Gifts to buy.
Ginny : Right now? But the lecture isn't even half done.
Paul : Sorry but being bored out of my skull isn't an option these days.
Ginny : But it just isn't done!
Paul : Watch me.

What a scandal.

Even Charming Calvin finds it a little reprehensible - and like any good lil Chinese boy, he can't help but remind me of it.

Calvin : Aren't you supposed to be somewhere?
Paul : I am somewhere.
Cavin : Somewhere else.
Paul : Which is here.

So no, he's not approving of truancy. Good to know. Me, I've come to realize that a few days off doesn't hurt anyone. Just disregard whatever your parents and teachers say. Trust me, skipping one day isn't going to cause your entire scholastic career to go down the drain.

Maybe I'll actually consider giving my kids two days off every year. For no reason at all but to stop and smell the roses.

8 comments:

stargal said...

hey, i have a teacher for a parent and i'm always truant-ing! hehehe... guess my 'acting' is better than yours! :P

sharman said...

hahahhaa you're gonna be an awesome dad!

Janvier said...

You wouldn't have played truant if you had to pay to attend those lectures! :P

Little Dove said...

Off days to do nothing? I want a daddy like you! ;p

William said...

I used to skip POL classes to play SEGA.

kenni said...

Hey dad, can I smell some roses tomorrow? :P

blue said...

i didnt play truant until i went uni :P Too many garbage in our rigid school curriculum. Not like its gonna land u a job, right?

Twilight Man said...

I always ponteng tuition classes and went smoking weed under the trees at Gurney Drive during school days!! Bad Grandma I was!

I went to States and earned Honor's list every year for perfect attendance. It was naturally too costly to ponteng.