Saturday, December 26, 2009

That Bump on Christmas Morning

There was a bump just before Christmas.

And unfortunately, it wasn't a sexy Santa creeping down the chimney with a big package all tied up in a thong just for me. I wasn't that lucky.

Prince Naveen
Fuckity-fuck. A fender bender.

If you've been driving for a few years there's a good chance you've experienced it too, that sudden sickening crunch of a fender bender! Well it happened to me just as I was leaving for lunch. Just that split second of distraction to admire a brand-new attraction ( damn that restaurant ) was enough for my car to slid forward into the next during a standstill.

You'd expect the entire motley crew of passengers in the backseat ( and I had more than a few ) to start a raving ruckus but no. Civilized bunch surprisingly. All my trusty wingman could do was whisper sotto voce in my ear.

Calvin : Stop. There's a car in front of you.

Though he's a mild-mannered soul, perhaps that was the right time to shout a warning. Had me thinking it was a whispered sweet nothing. Obviously I didn't listen. So with a slid and a bump. And that sickening thud that signals a car crash, I had an accident.

And though my lawyer buddies would be screaming deny all responsibility with written disclaimers, I claimed all wrongdoing the minute I stepped out of the car. All the time praying hard that I wouldn't meet an irate road psycho.

Turns out the owner of the other vehicle wasn't at all surprised. Seems he'd been in one too many unfortunate events to quibble over such a small misdemeanour. The father of two didn't resemble the deliciously ripped hottie I pictured above at all but I'd take all the little mercies I could get by then.

Obviously my mechanic was only too glad to see me.

How time changes though. It was the inconvenience that actually irritated me more than the cost of repair. Not saying the repair bill won't sting my wallet of course but I know this little dent won't break the bank. Fortunately.

Better my wallet than my bones. Or the ones I love.

But it was definitely a bah-humbug for the day before Christmas.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh i just had one not long ago, and it was HIM banged on me :P
yeah i think most of us hate it bcoz of the inconveniences it caused. just drive careful next time, dun let the hottie on the other lane distract u :P

RPMnut said...

How bad's the damage?

Kenny Mah said...

Man, that sucks but the main thing is that you are ok. And who knows? Maybe the next bump could be Santa... ;)

Legolas said...

I did shout, you know, just for the record.

Ed said...

glad nobody gets hurt!

Tiggah said...

I hope you're ok...I know how you feel...I got rear ended by a drunk driver last year when I was visiting my parents for the Holidays...right before New Years. I know things seem pretty lame right now...but things will get better. Have a great New Year :)

Little Dove said...

Aiks. What a disastrous incident on Christmas Eve! Hope everyone's alright and not post-traumatic. At least you have your loved one by your side this Christmas. ^_^

Unknown said...

LOL @Legolas.
Poor guys, poor Savante!
Am so sorry to hear that ,
of all things that it happened at Christmas!
At least, EVERYONE is ok.
I had an accident some time ago,
had nightmares. Was head on , not my fault but in accidents, both parties get hurt.
I hate accidents!
Take care now.

Mr.D said...

Be more careful.

Take care.

Gratitude said...

Good that the passangers & you are safe! ^_^
+Ant+

simonlover said...

Is it the restaurant or the "waiters" that caught ur attention?! Haha. But, luckily no one was hurt. Take care k!

the viennamese said...

Oh my, just before Christmas! Exactly what happened to Christina Aguilera in Beverly Hills while she was out shopping. Good thing noone was hurt; I take it as a good omen!

Do take care and be more aware while behind the wheel though. :)

Anonymous said...

I've only been in once accident, and it was entirely my fault. I figured that it would be a lot easier for me to just admit it was my fault, instead of fighting with the other person.

Bradley Hyunckel said...

horny enough to wish him were the pic...