Thursday, April 22, 2010

Showdown with the Fuzhous!

Yes, Charming Calvin finally met the in-laws.

The rest of the family that is. Or at least those comfortably situated within the confines of the Klang Valley - which already numbers something in the double digits. You'd call them the typical Fuzhous. Rowdy, boisterous and utterly tactless, quite an intimidating bunch for a relative newbie to the family.

Worst of all they speak in absolute gobbledy-gook. The near incomprehensible grunt-grunt dialect they call Fuzhou - which for the uninitiated might as well be Swahili. Starting to understand quite a bit when spoken to but in a rapid-fire conversation between my relatives, I still get a bit confused.

Which is why I saw fit to give Calvin a mild word of caution.

Paul : They are different. My relatives.
Calvin : Different?
Paul : And really loud.
Calvin : Hmm.
Paul : Generally harmless though.

Undeterred by my warning, Calvin heedlessly stalked in only to be greeted by a dozen speculative pairs of eyes. Like all our previous guests, I thought he'd be handed a detailed questionaire by my curious relatives.

Cousins
Hi, Grandma! Here's my special friend.

Fortunately he was spared the usual Gestapo interrogation since part of the group - my cousins no doubt - were still silently trying to figure out how we were both connected. While the other half were thankfully distracted by both my amazing seeing-eye granny and my cousin's latest girlfriend.

Not to mention the fact that my larcenous aunts were thinking of robbing the hotel blind.

Actually noted a surprising lack of curiousity amongst my generally inquisitive cousins! Their usual method of attack is to unceremoniously pounce on the unwary with endless torrents of tactless questions hoping for a careless slip. This time however they remained uncharacteristically silent about the fact that I was unmarried with a close friend intow. Even the usually loquacious Lispy Lori didn't say a word.

Helluva suspicious, isn't it?

Wouldn't be surprised if a number of them have guessed the truth since friend can mean so many things for the younger generation. Since we confab online about everything related to family matters, I wonder whether the cousins actually have a covert newsgroup discussing my sexuality.

11 comments:

William said...

This is my "friend". Definitely will raise eyebrows.

Fuzhou fishballs!

Anonymous said...

i wouldnt be surprised if they had even come to conclusion that u r 'different' from them lolll...

Janvier said...

Did you brother give a heads-up to the rest of the clan?

Mikey said...

family boat rocked...that's all i can say. what with the media doing a great job in opening up the pink parade's lifestyle to the hetero group of homo sapiens (hey, even the scientific name for humans favour our type..LOL), i'd definitely say maxis/celcom/digi/u mobile profited nicely from the flying smses sent.

am happy for both you and calvin ;) and now, anticipating New P's opening ceremony + pics.

Little Dove said...

Fuzhous are very special people.

quicksilverlining said...

they know. they probably just don't know they know.

Kenny Mah said...

Well, all that matters is that they like your, uhm, "friend", right? (Or at least not interrogate him to pieces.)

:D

a said...

That's what I told Calvin, that u guys are OFFICIAL now, with endorsement from family (somewhat).

How many 'close' friend would someone take to their 'clan-like bizness'? My guess is they already guess the special relationship... subject to either giving blessing to this relationship behind u, or the other way. Bitching is inevitable, thus the 'newsgroup' is definitely active, best proven by the lack of interrogation (leave more room for imagination yo~!)

Way to go boys@! That sounds like a celebration is on the way eh! Party!!!

a said...

Mind u, I remember your mom calling Calvin 'another son' somewhat sounded like '1/2' son to me! Yeah!

Laksa Lim said...

I didn't know that you are a Foochow as well! :)

carpe diem said...

Parents of cousin: When you cousin Paul comes by with his friend, be nice. Don't ask too much about his friend.

Cousins: Why not? Why can't we know what type of friend is that?

Parents: There is only one type. You all know already. So stop being rude when his friend comes.