Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Element of Eve

Back in the days when I was a medical officer, I always wished for a more lenient, understanding superior. Since my authoritarian bosses tended to be either chillingly aloof, shockingly absent or crushingly unsympathetic, we tried our best to work independently of them - occasionally leaning on each other to get through our work. Such close camaraderie in the face of a despotic regime kept us going through the worst of times.

You could say we all made it through with the help of our friends.

Even made a pact amongst ourselves not to fall into a similar trap once we climbed up the rungs. No, we wouldn't be the oppresive slavedrivers we once worked under. Work orders would be convened under a peaceable concensus. Things should get better.

Or at least that's what I thought. Over here though, I seem to have fallen into an alternate universe where everything's happening in the reverse.

While I'm trying my best not to be a steel-fisted disciplinarian at work, my medical officers are busy brawling amongst themselves in an internal civil war. Instead of instant comradeship on the frontlines, verbal warfare and weapons of mental destruction seem to be the game here.

Men
Paul : Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Especially with Ebullient Eve and Nervous Nancy. Like the combatants in the Middle East, it seems neither is ready to admit defeat. Nor to offer a truce.

Leading the charge to crush her enemy, our volatile Eve will accept nothing less than complete annihilation. Or at least capitulation on Nancy's part. Though I suspect Nancy's somewhat oblivious to her nefarious plans.

Eve : You need to step in!
Paul : And?
Eve : Bring some order to the house?
Paul : Should I bring a cane as well? Should I treat you like schoolchildren in need of a reprimand?
Eve : Umm. Yes?

Obviously letting them handle this internal squabble on their own as reasonable adults doesn't seem to be working out. Looks like it's time for a round-table discussion with the entire lot - with me playing the unlikely role of mediator. Hopefully they can work things out peaceably without resorting to slings and arrows.

Otherwise sounds like it's time I became a little more autocratic! Perhaps have a big black cape and leather-studded boots to stalk around in. For a fellow who used to enjoy bucking authority while bending the rules, you can imagine how it irks me to be the one meting out punishment.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

so u should thankful to ur authoritarian bosses? :P

Mr.D said...

a long lash is what you need~ or you can turn into Dr.Miranda Bailey. =)

Kenny Mah said...

Some may actually welcome the rod. I dunno, a fetish? :P

Enjoy being Mr. Boss Man! ;)

William said...

Use a fine. MYR300 sounds about right.

MrBunnyBan said...

"Ummm. Yes?" Lol! Women on the warpath indeed.

Chris said...

Seems like a teacher and a notti boy..

said...

Ooo~ bring a whip along~

love whipping~ *wink wink