Friday, August 27, 2010

Friendship-Time Theorem

Old friends.

I've always been of the opinion that the real friends you make - even those way back in school - remain with you for the rest of your life. Though the ensuing time might strain the tenuous bonds of friendship, nothing helps to bridge the gap like a handful of dirty jokes, a couple of vodka shots and an eight-course dinner. Maybe no longer best friends but after a few drinks, certainly more than an acquaintance!

Of course not everyone believes that.

My recent guests had a theory. Which my ISO immediately corroborated from several hundred miles north of here.

Docs
Wonder how long they'll be friends?

I'm calling it the Friendship-Time Theorem. According to these jaded cynics, lifelong friendship is utter bullshit! Just a momentary flash in the pan. Ships that pass in the night. I'd have more cliched expressions ready but I might as well reveal the mathematical equation we came up with.

A X 1/B = C

A = Length of time you know someone
B = Length of time spent apart
C = Chance of remaining friends

Still a tad rough since my math sucks but there it is. Seems the longer the period of time spent apart, the less the chance of remaining as friends. Forget about those kindergarten kidmates you made!

For my new travelling buddies, it seems as if they forget about a friend the minute they leave on the next bus. No doubt they can barely recall their schoolmates!

My ISO : It's the sad truth!
Paul : Fucking hell, I haven't seen you in weeks. We're still talking.
My ISO : Well that's different.
Paul : How different?
My ISO : We do talk online so maybe that doesn't count.
Paul : Fuck. You're right. Get our your address book.
My ISO : What for?
Paul : I think it's time to have a class reunion.

So do I say adios to my classmates at the reunion?

7 comments:

Fickle Cattle said...

I both agree and disagree. I do believe that friendships are like plants that need to be cultivated regularly in order to grow, but also there are some rare friendships capable of withstanding the test of time and distance.

Nice post.

http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

nicky05 said...

I do believe but depends on which friends..:D

William said...

Why didn't you write A/B = C?

Kenny Mah said...

It's sorta true, but then sometimes it's the distance that makes or rather, defines the friendship. I still have deep friendships with pals from Japan, the US and Italy - we write each other frequently... emails and postcards, whatever works. :)

Celestine said...

I am blessed to have friends whom I could just resumed from where we left off though we have not met for years. :)

Aiden said...

I agree with William. Why didn't you write A/B=C? :P
The way you've written it makes it look more erm Mathematical and real though.
And I actually agree with the equation.

the lowly gardener said...

we lose some and we retain some, and fortunately enough we are allowed by the Fates to keep some. Here's to share a bit more on the topic:

http://midgardsorm-und-jormundgand.blogspot.com/search?q=post+mortem