Friday, September 03, 2010

Say Hello

You gotta love the man but I'll admit Charming Calvin isn't exactly known for his social graces. Just toss out the Miss Manners Rulebook! The prerequisite introductions are usually dispensed with, RSVPs are misplaced - and I've actually been hoodwinked into inadvertently crashing a dinner party.

Or two.

Especially the legendary soirees organized by his redoubtable mama, Madame Borgia. Somehow or other, I was duped by her heedless son into thinking that I'd been invited to dinner.

Paul : You sure your mother invited me?
Calvin : Well, not in so many words.
Paul : Exactly what kinda words were they?
Calvin : She did say she had a table booked here.
Paul : And?
Calvin : So they are obviously having dinner here at this establishment.
Paul : Which doesn't include me, does it?
Calvin : I'm sure she'd want you here.
Paul : Did she specifically say invite Paul?
Calvin : It's implied.
Paul : Nothing's implicit when it comes to Madame Borgia. This doesn't augur well for me. So I'm effectively crashing her party?
Calvin : Of course she'll want you to be here.
Paul : Yes, she'll be so pleased to see the feckless, free-loading bastard her son's dating.

Refreshingly our sweet, kind Calvin naively assumes that any dinner involving his household would naturally include me.

Docs
Mama's expecting us for dinner!

Any remaining doubts I had about whether Madame Borgia had the slightest notion about my presence at one of her dinners disappeared the moment she stalked in. Not the smallest inkling did she have that I still existed, much less that I'd be joining them! No doubt the very thought of delicious pork buns turned to unsavoury ashes in his mama's mouth as she saw me already waiting at the table.

Madame : Why, Paul, what a pleasant surprise.
Paul : It certainly is. You look lovely tonight.
Madame : Fancy seeing you here. Having some friends join you at your table?
Paul : No, this is our dinner table.
Madame : You're joining us? Why that's simply delightful. Calvin never tells me anything.
Paul : At least we have that in common!
Madame : Oh you're always such a jokesmith.

No doubt that's why she kept handing me bones during dinner to choke on. :P

13 comments:

Alex said...

No poisoned tea offered?

William said...

Go be the perfect son-in-law.

Chris said...

Yeah, i think so too.

Mr.D said...

omg this is very like a plot in one of those telenovellas from philipines, love it.

Celestine said...

Lol! Reframe! She just thinks you need more calcium! ;)

Legolas said...

Trust me, she has high opinion of you.

Kenny Mah said...

Ooh. You can feel the temperature dropping in the restaurant the moment she walked in, no? Glacial. ;)

Unknown said...

Spend just a little more time with them :)

blue said...

thats thoughtful of calvin. One happy family now yea? Im sure your mother in law didn't mean to choke you to death with the bones :D

Anonymous said...

it feels like its a scene of something is going to happen

savante said...

Surprisingly none. Probably hoping the bone would do me in, alex.

Will try, william and chris. But I'm pretty darned perfect already :P

Hopefully one of the comedies, mr d!

I don't mind milk, celestine!

She does, legolas? Really?!

Especially when I was uninvited, life? Definitely!

Spend quite a lot of time with them already, davison.

Hopefully she actually had no such plans, blue.

Just read the next post, red vince.

P

Anonymous said...

your quirkiness and wittiness awaken me frm my bored, exam notes.. esp, this one. thanks for the lil humour tht help me thru the nite.
-m-

Anonymous said...

o...btw your posts were beautifully written..
-m-