Sunday, October 10, 2010

Rents and Sensibility

A woman, especially, if she have the misfortune of knowing anything, should conceal it as well as she can.

Sometimes I think men should try every bit as hard as well.

Seldom, very seldom does a long-distance relationship work. Had my own foolish experiment back in the past which fizzled quite spectacularly - so this time around, I decided to forestall a repeat of my past mistakes.

Especially since it turns out my temporary transfer gig here might change into something a little more permanent. With me choosing to stay here - and Charming Calvin working way on the other side of the Big Pond, the resultant circumstances seemed unsatisfactory.

Macfadyen
Calvin : Umm... so you want me to lie?
Paul : No, I want you to avoid answering the truth.

Which is why I've been talking Charming Calvin into coming back. And maybe sharing Netherfield with me.

Till now he's been a bit resistant to the novel idea. With the deed to Pemberley his dream apartment almost in hand after numerous unforeseen obstacles, I can almost understand his reluctance. Surprisingly though, that's not the reason he dreads returning. Having the prodigal gay son return doesn't seem to be the issue here - in fact his mother would be over the moon ecstatic!

But it turns out sharing a rented house - with another man! - would be potentially problematic. Seriously how did Bingley and Darcy do the same without arousing suspicion amongst the gossipy villagers?

Calvin : It is impossible. How would I justify moving in with you when I have a perfectly good family home barely five miles away?
Paul : Just tell her you hate driving home in the dark after work? Or tell her your workplace would be much closer to Netherfield.
Calvin : The office is actually closer to my home.
Paul : She wouldn't know that now would she?
Calvin : I wouldn't feel good lying.
Paul : It's not lying. You just don't mention it. Just tell Madame Borgia it's easier for work and leave it at that.
Calvin : I can't tell her that!
Paul : And why would she ask that many questions? She's your mother, not the Gestapo Chief of Interrogations!

I knew that wily matron Madame Borgia would somehow creep into our everyday lives.

Seriously, what happened to the art of concealment? Never been a paragon of moral virtues myself so I've always found that little itty-bitty white lie amongst family wholly acceptable. And in this situation, it's certainly not lying per se - let's call it a partial omission of the truth. Madame Borgia won't ask, he won't tell. Surely his loving momma wouldn't scrutinize his motivations to return that closely so such probing questions shouldn't even arise.

Madame Borgia's a wicked schemer herself, surely she would understand.

8 comments:

Twilight Man said...

Barely 5 miles away???? That's pretty close! Let me help you move back here ok...

sharman said...

you honestly think she won't question?

hmmmmm.... instead, how about u moving into the madame's kingdom? hehehe...

William said...

Madam Borgia is definitely not dumb. Do check your water supply every now and then.

Legolas said...

She will ask and she will ask plenty. How to justify when my father used to go home for lunch everyday? And my sister is working way further than me and still goes home everyday?

And that is exactly how gossips will start when there's simply no justification available. It'll kill my parents before it does me.

savante said...

Barely 5 miles apart in Miri, twilight :P

She stays much too far away, sharman. And I don't think an invitation's forthcoming.

Have tons of checks already in place, william.

How would they even know, legolas!

P

sharman said...

give her an ultimatum. does she want her son, or not? :D

Shake Trees said...

those reasons r not gud enuf. sure wont work. as adults, u need to live ur life responsibly. hence they shud understood if u chosed to live away from family. u needed space. its not healthy to everyone if this is forced. however, u can always drop by since its mere close distance. there's no lying here. its basic needs.

as for u, do u accept his mum to drop by ur hse? cleaning, cooking, etc for his son? dats wat mum do best. :P hmm... perhaps asks u for some pills since ur a doc. :P free consultation too. lolx...

Mr.D said...

going for "don't ask don't tell" eh? haha