Thursday, October 14, 2010

Sharks Fin Yum

Yes, I still partake of shark's fin soup.

No doubt horrifying the conservationist advocates - amongst them my friend Lanky Lex. There is no need to remind me that the highly endangered sharks are being slowly hunted to extinction - and then massacred in a horribly inhumane manner. Valuable fins methodically sliced off while the rest of the dismembered bodies are tossed back into the sea for a slow painful death.

Certainly makes that bowl of soup much less appetizing, doesn't it? Well, it depends on how you look at it. While I wouldn't go around passing out passionate flyers urging patrons to eschew shark's fin, I certainly wouldn't say no to a bowl placed in front of me. I do think however that the fishermen should assist the chefs in coming up with palatable dishes based on the other parts of the fish. Rather than throwing the fish back, wouldn't it make more economic sense to consume the rest? Surely some ingenious chef out there should be able to come up with something. Shark sushi? Shark burger anyone?

Docs
Maybe if he asked me to stop, I would consider it.

Of course the more zealous advocates of conservationism would still raise a hue and cry. Hell, some are already stalking out of establishments serving shark's fin soup. Leaving a formal wedding dinner as a protest? Even this quote from a vehement environmentalist campaigner.

“I also made it very clear that he would get a much smaller hongbao if he served shark’s fin.”

And that loaded red packet comes with a blatant message urging diners to boycott the delicacy. Surely a horrified Miss Manners would have something to say about it.

I would have quietly disinvited such a guest of course.

This is carrying political correctness just a tad too far. Not only do we have to cater to the religious and medical requests of our guests, now we also have to keep an eye out for ethical / environmental issues?

Good God. What happened to restraint? Plain good manners for goodness sakes. Rather than march around with a raging placard, show some respect for the host! Just politely say no when the dish is offered. Refuse the beef / pork / chicken if your religion so dictates. Your preferences should remain your preferences without having an impact on anyone else.

Seriously. Don't impose your rules and beliefs on others. Does that mean if I'm an avid meatatarian, I can rudely stalk out when broccoli is served? Throw a huff whenever peas make an appearance? Set fire to the table whenever bok choy appears at the end?

7 comments:

Booker said...

Am with you on the partaking in sharks fin soup. Will eat it when a bowl is placed in front of me (out of respect for the host - and also cause it's usually the 2nd dish, and I'm still hungry!) but I don't think I'd actually go out there and buy dried sharks fin or even order a bowl.

Twilight Man said...

Agreed with Booker, I eat when served and never ordered them. Most of the time I know I ate tung-fun sharks fin, so no guilt. But what about those eating chicken, fish and beef?

Little Dove said...

I kinda like the idea of giving a smaller hongbao if people served shark’s fin at their wedding. ;p

Legolas said...

People should just eat anything that's served to them. Don't forget the starving children in Africa who got nothing to eat.

john chen said...

if someone can show me an official census of all sharks in the ocean, as proof that their population is indeed dwindling, i'd probably stop. for now, it's shark's fin and fur and kindness to humans for me... peace.

William said...

KH also refuses to eat that. I'll just tell him to pass me his bowl.

- a L E x - said...

I wouldn't say that Imma big fan of sharkfin's soup but if I were given a bowl I'd still take it.

But true, I hate it a lot when someone tries to impose their rule/beliefs on you. So annoying :S