Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Hit at Starbucks

Nothing's better than a fresh cup of coffee in the morning.

Even better when it's served with a wide welcoming smile - and a dark twinkle in mocha chocolate brown eyes.

Is it any wonder that cute baristas are hit on every other day? If you ask me, the customers are hardly to blame. Standing at the line at Starbucks, there is nothing much to do in between placing the order and receiving the java.

Paul : One caffe mocha. Tall.
Barista : Yes, sir. Would you like whipped cream with that?
Paul : Only if you get slathered up in it.
Barista : Now that would be wasting cream!
Paul : Not if I lick it all up.
Barista : Well it does taste good.
Paul : Now if I could only get you on a muffin to go.

Cheap thrills, I know. And it almost always scandalizes the God-fearing customers standing right behind me. Of course their shocked expressions only goad me further. Turns out getting hit on is pretty common at java chains. No doubt a dangerous combination of jazzed-up customers high on coffee courage paired with adorable post-teenage baristas in forest green aprons.

chase
Coffee, tea or me?

Been chatting them up a little too often these days since I've recently decamped to Netherfield. Unfortunately it takes at least a few days for the internet connections to be reconnected. Hence my recent Starbucks hauntings. While I was lazing about waiting for my mocha, I chanced upon an interview for a fresh new barista.

Of course the senseless questions are always forthcoming.

Interviewer : How would you describe teamwork in your own words? How would you define community?

Seriously. Buy a dictionary why don't you? Does the Human Resource Dept sit together by committee to come up with such inane questions? Is there even a correct answer to all that?

But I digress. Then the interviewer started ane ntire long spiel about customers, their wayward habits and how they are always right.

Interviewer : So would you be alright with the customers hitting on you?

I know the reasons they ask is to gauge a prospective employee's response - but does anyone actually dislike getting hit on?

8 comments:

William said...

No customer has ever hit on me!

savante said...

But you don't work in a coffeehouse!

SynchingZincInc said...

Lemme see if i can remember this, is Ryan there? LOL

Helix

DinoRic said...

HHAHAHA! I would love to have a customer like you..=D

Vincent~ said...

lol, i dun even know these things happen in coffeehouses. -__-"

Kenny Mah said...

"...but does anyone actually dislike getting hit on?"

Only if it's a crazy stalker type, I guess. :P

Mr.D said...

Getting hit on is nice..

Razlan said...

Who doesn't like to get hit on? LOL, this statement is perfect, just perfect.