Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Rock and ( Accidental ) Roll

Lately I've given up on trying to understand the inexplicably boorish behaviour of the poorly-schooled local motorists here. Not only do these eccentrics find roundabouts a mystifying puzzle, they tend to mistake brakes for pretty playthings to step on according to whim.

Let's not even talk about their vestigial signal lights.

Sigh.

When I first transferred here a year back, I once saw - to my abject horror - a driver literally sliding into a ditch at 20 km/H. Thought that was the worst to come but I was proven wrong. What happened today certainly takes the godawful cake for idiot drivers out on the road.

chase
Good boy, if you can't drive, you'd better hitch a ride instead.

Or perhaps godawful idiotic passengers.

Coming off from work at lunchtime, I saw a car making a slow, lackadaisical turn in front of me only to have the passenger door accidentally coming ajar. The very next moment, the side passenger comes tumbling out onto the asphalt.

And you had all this happening in John Woo slow-mo style. The car rocked and she rolled, as simple as that. Even accidents take their own sweet time here in Miri.

Turns out the silly lady in a printed green sarong had forgotten to lock her seatbelt, hastily tried to shut the car door - and then got flung out by sheer momentum. Since the vehicle was comfortably moving at 20 km/H therefore she trundled out at the exact same speed. No doubt embarassed by her sheer carelessness / stupidity, she hastily dusted off her dirtied sarong and leapt back into the car that surprisingly sped off with enviable speed.

Obviously ignominious shame helps the acceleration.

So I guess it's time for a bad limerick.

There once was a lady from Miri,
Who was just a little bit silly,
Took a turn in her car,
Left her door quite ajar,
Got flung out of her car in a tizzy.

I could only stare disbelieving, wishing that I'd had a camera ready to make her youtube famous. Fortunately for her, I was only driving at half my usual speed or the unfortunate dame would have been instant roadkill.

6 comments:

Aiden said...

Even accidents take their own sweet time here in Miri. Haha. That just made my day.

But yeah, some people just believe they're invincible I guess. Just few hours ago I witnessed a really old man (must've been in the 60s) taking an illegal U-turn while being on the left most lane and when the traffic light was red.

RPMnut said...

Odd odd city....

Sam said...

OMFG. WHO TUMBLES OUT OF THEIR CAR WHILE IT MAKES A TURN!?

O.o

Only in Miri. That should be a tagline.

Vincent~ said...

ROFL, its so funny... buahahahhaha. I nvr know Miri can b so interesting. Hey wait! you r from miri? XD i am from Sibu! *high five*

Mr.D said...

that tumbling out would have been an instant classic if it had made it to youtube, no doubt.

savante said...

Good grief, A! And let's not forget foolhardy pedestrians who cross without looking either side!

I couldn't believe it myself, Nut and Sam!

Hi from Miri, Vincent!

Missed my chance to make it viral dammit, D!

P