Sunday, December 05, 2010

Baby It's Cold Outside

The lights are up.

The presents are under the tree.

The invitations have been sent out.

Sipping wine in my cosy chair by the window while it storms outside, nothing gets me quite as sentimental as a chilly December. The whiff of hot cocoa. The flicker of the cinnamon scented candles. The age-stained pages of my book of sonnets.

Times like these it's nice to know that somewhere out in the wide, wide world there might be someone who is thinking of me. Even with crowds of people milling about him. That thought certainly keeps me warm.

But that's me. Doubt assails him when he's so very far away that he starts worrying that our love can't possibly sustain such breadth of time and distance.

chase
Long, long distance love affair!

No doubt Charming Calvin feels just a bit cold and lonely at times like these.

Calvin : So why do you love me?
Paul : So there has to be a reason?
Calvin : I would just like to know.
Paul : You want me to put that into writing? Sonnets perhaps? Or even a limerick?
Calvin : A sonnet would be preferable I think.

So why do you love someone? I think lovesick poets throughout the centuries have been trying to figure that out. So I might as well leave with something sweet that I read many summers ago when I was young in love. A little sonnet Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote about her own true love so very long ago.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

Is there even a measure of love? Is there even proof that you can see? Baby, I know it's cold outside but you should know that my love remains constant and unchanging.


Baby, it's bad out there. So why not hold on to thoughts of me and feel warm inside?

13 comments:

Vincent~ said...

wad you are doing now is my ideal setting of wad i am doing to enjoy my christmas. XD

sing to him the famous teresa teng mom song. =p

u:ulliel said...

brilliant music video... what a great find! very suitable for the sentimental post in the festive season. now which one is you and which one is charming calvin?

savante said...

Famous teresa teng mom song? Gotta go find that, vincent.

Thanks ulliel! It's December and I always have sentimental posts this time of year :) Not sure which one would be me in this video though. Who do you think?

P

john chen said...

schweet!

Booker said...

Lovely!

If any guy reads me that poem, I'd marry him in a heartbeat!!!!

BicaraTeruna said...

Hey there, it's been awhile since I checked your writing, just want to say Hello & Merry Christmas?

Booker said...

Ok, I've listened to that song for at least 20 times already, and it STILL warms me heart every.single.time :D

Elliot T. McBeal said...

OK I can't watch that video because the office blocked it, what exactly is in that?

savante said...

Definitely saccharine, john! :)

Honestly so would I, booker :) Isn't the video just so sweet? Nothing like young love I guess.

Merry Christmas to you too, bicara!

Yeah, Elliott, the video actually shows the boys singing Baby It's Cold Outside.

P

Alex said...

I got the recording of the song sung by Margaret Whiting & Johnny Mercer!

joshua said...

Boy, am I impressed or what?

I might not have said this to either of you, but I think you two are perfect for each other.

I wish you nothing but the very best (and a fabulous life ala on the Upper East Side!)

*hugs

Mr.D said...

somehow i feel that Xmas is more romantic than Valentines when reading this post of yours.. =)

Booker said...

I totally agree with Mr.D, reading and re-reading your post, coupled with listening and re-listening to that song makes me wanna go out there, grab some hopeless romantic guy and snuggle up with him in front of a fire... never mind the tropical temperatures we have here!