Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sleeping Beauty

Well not exactly.

Quite the opposite actually. Rather than drop heedlessly into a near-coma at the veriest pin-prick, it seems my niece Chatty Carmen has been enchanted with an even worse malady.

chase
Something this strapping fellow obviously doesn't have!

Insomnia. Gifted by her fairy godfather with an overactive imagination, poor Carmen finds herself having the occasional conversation with passing angels disguised as plaster cherubs. And that's during the daylight hours - so you can easily imagine the sort of dreadful creatures that creep out once darkness descends. Enough to keep even the most foolhardy child awake at night.

Keeping poor Carmen up for hours as she treads the wooden floors.

A fact which puzzles my brother and sister-in-law - both shockingly prone to falling into deep non-REM sleep the second their weary heads hit their respective pillows.

Sister-in-law : Our daughter simply cannot sleep at night.
Brother : Perplexing. Is there a pea under her bed?
Sister-in-law : No peas. No wolves. No witches.
Brother : Yet she can't sleep?
Sister-in-law : Curious.
Brother : Getting curiouser and curiouser.

Of course it didn't take long for my brother to recall that I suffered the same unfortunate sort of symptoms as a child. I actually spent veritable hours making similar night rounds around a darkened house. No doubt offering portents of my future profession.

All I could tell offer as a panacea was patience. Not much you can do but be patient after all. A cure for that particular insomnia? God knows I haven't found one myself! Ironically I found myself dating a sleeping prince who falls comfortably into slumber at all hours!

Even without the pin-prick.

1 comment:

Kenny Mah said...

Hehe. My guess is that the prick you'd give the sleeping prince would significantly larger than pin-sized. Ahem. ;)